Time and Cost Savings, With Faster Problem-Solving
Today, Acquia is solving customer problems faster and more efficiently than ever before. The total time spent across teams to resolve the typical customer service call has gone from an average of one hour to just minutes. More than half of Acquia’s 800 employees regularly use Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring. Pacheco estimates that Splunk has saved each technical employee about an hour a day.
One example of this time saving occurred when an operator noticed that CPUs for a given service were hitting 100 percent utilization, while the business activity level was unchanged. It turned out a MySQL bug was jamming up the whole system. A hot fix was issued, and utilization levels returned to normal, enabled by better real-time visibility with Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring.
Acquia’s rapid customer acquisition meant continually rising demands on its operations team. The number of incidents increased from an average of 1,800 per month a year ago to 2,300 most recently. With Splunk's help, the average monthly hours spent on customer support have been reduced from 414 to 391, even as the incident volume has risen. Average time spent per incident has dropped from 0.23 hours to 0.17 hours — a reduction of 26%.
Measurable results include:
- More than half of Acquia’s 800 employees regularly use Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring.
- Total time spent across teams to resolve the typical customer service call has gone from an average of one hour to just minutes.
- The average monthly hours spent on customer support has gone down from 414 to 391, even as the incident volume has risen by nearly 28%.
- The average time spent resolving an incident has dropped from .23 hours to .17 hours — a 26% reduction.
- Technical employees save about an hour daily.
- Acquia now saves more than $600,000 per year in hardware expenses.
“These productivity gains save us at least 138 hours per month, or close to that of a full-time employee,” says Pacheco. All told, Pacheco estimates that the value of the time saved across teams at Acquia is roughly $1 million annually.