For years, Splunk has provided the ability to display dismissible Bulletin Messages. But what if you need to show a non-dismissible, highly-visible message across all your product pages? Now you can, with the new Global Banner!
One of our top-voted Customer Ideas, the Global Banner allows an admin to display a one-line message, with optional hyperlink, at the top of their product pages. Originally designed for organizations with strict security protocols, the Global Banner can be used to persistently display a custom message, such as site classification (e.g. “Secure” or “Classified”). But the customizable banner can also be used for a myriad of additional use cases, including notifying users of the following:
- New features
- Software version upgrades
- Scheduled maintenance or downtime
- Data outages
- And more…
It’s important to note that only a single global banner is supported, and users cannot dismiss the banner.
Customize the Global Banner
As an admin, you can enable and customize the global banner using the following steps:
- Click Settings > Server Settings > Global Banner.
- Toggle the Banner Visibility switch to On.
- Select a background color for the global banner.
- Enter your message text.
- (optional) Specify an absolute URL to generate a hyperlink to additional information, such as your organization's best practices documentation.
- (optional) Enter the text of the hyperlink. For example, "Learn about best practices".
Your customized global banner will now appear on all pages, except the login page.
For Splunk Cloud users, a role must have the edit_global_banner capability to customize the global banner. This capability is provided to the sc_admin role by default.