Join us as we pursue our ground-breaking vision to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we are committed to our work, customers, having fun, and most significantly to each other’s success.
The Splunk Observability Cloud provides full-fidelity monitoring and fixing across infrastructure, applications, and user interfaces, in real-time and at any scale, to help our customers keep their services reliable, innovate faster, and deliver great customer experiences. Infrastructure Software Engineers at Splunk are cloud-native systems engineers who use infrastructure-as-code, microservices, automation, and efficient design to build, operate, and scale our products.
You will help us run one of the largest and most sophisticated cloud-scale, bigdata, and microservices platforms in the world. You will be responsible for enabling developers to operate highly available, scalable, and cost-efficient applications with low operational burden by handling and improving the reliability and resiliency of SRE-managed services and infrastructure. You thrive on automation, infrastructure-as-code, reliability engineering, and getting rid of tedious, manual tasks.
- Set technical direction, author design docs, and get consensus from internal and external partners.
- Develop new processes to make the team more efficient and effective.
- Collaborate with other team leaders to orchestrate large system changes.
- Spend a significant amount of time on technical leadership activities in addition to hands-on technical work
- Design new services, tools, and monitoring to be implemented by the entire team.
- Analyze the tradeoffs of the proposed design and make recommendations based on these tradeoffs.
- Mentor new engineers to achieve more than they thought possible. You enjoy making other teams successful and are fulfilled through the success of others.
Work on reliability projects, including:
- HA, Business Continuity Planning, disaster recovery, backup/restore, RTO, RPO
- Chaos engineering
- Application uptime and performance
- Capacity management & planning
- SLIs, SLOs, error budgets, and monitoring dashboards
- Responsible for deployment and operations of large-scale distributed data stores and streaming services
- Establishing design patterns for monitoring and benchmarking
- Establishing and documenting production run books and guidelines for developers
- Tooling, toil reduction, runbooks & automation to handle production environments
- Incident management and improving MTTD/MTTR for services
- Cloud cost optimization
- 7+ years of SRE experience in handling large-scale cloud-native microservices platforms.
- 3+ years of strong hands-on experience deploying, handling, and monitoring large-scale Kubernetes clusters in the public cloud specifically AWS or GCP
- Experience with infrastructure automation and scripting using Python and/or bash scripting.
- Strong hands-on experience in monitoring tools such as Splunk, Prometheus, Grafana, ELK stack, etc. in order to build observability for large-scale microservices deployments.
- Experience leading large-scale technical initiatives across multiple teams.
- Excellent problem-solving, triaging, and debugging skills in large-scale distributed systems
- AWS Solutions Architect certification preferred.
- Confluent Certified Administrator for Apache Kafka and/or Apache Cassandra Administrator Associate certifications are preferred
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-Code using Terraform, CloudFormation, Google Deployment Manager, Pulumi, Packer, ARM, etc.
- Experience with deployment and operations of large-scale clusters for Cassandra, Kafka, Elastic Search, MongoDB, ZooKeeper, Redis, etc.
- Experience with CI/CD frameworks and Pipeline-as-Code such as Jenkins, Spinnaker, Gitlab, Argo, Artifactory, etc.
- Experience with one or more security/compliance frameworks such as SOC2, PCI, and/or FedRAMP.
- Proven skills to effectively work across teams and functions to influence the design, operations, and deployment of highly available software.
Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.