Splunk Brings Machine Learning to Mainstream With New Solutions at .conf2017
Turn Data Into Answers With Splunk Enterprise 7.0, Splunk ITSI 3.0, Splunk UBA 4.0 and Splunk Cloud
SAN FRANCISCO AND .conf2017, WASHINGTON – September 26, 2017 – Splunk Inc. (NASDAQ: SPLK), first in delivering “aha” moments from machine data, today announced expanded machine learning capabilities across its product portfolio with the release of Splunk® Enterprise 7.0, Splunk IT Service Intelligence (ITSI) 3.0, Splunk User Behavior Analytics (UBA) 4.0 and updates to Splunk Cloud. Splunk also introduced an updated suite of solutions that apply analytics and machine learning to fraud and cloud monitoring use cases. The announcements were made at .conf2017: the 8th Annual Splunk Conference. Watch today’s .conf2017 keynote live at https://conf.splunk.com beginning at 9 a.m. ET.
“Machine learning is critical to customer success and to the evolution of Splunk. Our seamlessly integrated capabilities open up machine learning to everyone, enabling our customers to better predict future outcomes and more effectively analyze their data,” said Richard Campione, chief product officer, Splunk. “Data is a strategic advantage and organizations are looking for the fastest, most efficient way to turn data into answers. With machine learning and metrics advancements that anyone can use, Splunk Enterprise 7.0 and Splunk Cloud powerfully deliver mission-critical answers faster and easier than ever before.”
Splunk Enterprise 7.0 and Splunk Cloud help customers better monitor, investigate and gain intelligence with their data, while delivering massive improvement in performance and scale. Support for metrics accelerates monitoring and alerting by at least 20x, and optimizations to core search technology deliver 3x speed improvement. With these enhancements, customers can use the Splunk platform to predict future IT, security and business outcomes through integrated machine learning techniques backed by powerful, extensible algorithms. These machine learning advances enable users to collect, prepare, transform, explore, visualize and publish data insights.
“Artificial Intelligence (AI) and advanced machine learning are much-talked-about emerging technologies that could revolutionize businesses and even entire industries,” according to Gartner. “They have the ability to drastically reduce labor costs, generate new and unexpected insights, discover new patterns, and create predictive models from raw data.”1
“Staples uses Splunk Enterprise for real-time analysis of critical business transitions – from order management, to invoicing, to warehousing – to ultimately enhance our customer experience and stay ahead of online competitors,” said Faisal Masud, chief technology officer, Staples. “Splunk analytics and metrics are helping us optimize every aspect of what we do, including quickly identifying and correcting irregular transactions so customers receive the best possible service. The Splunk Enterprise platform is a critical piece of our business operations foundation.”
Splunk also announced new, advanced machine learning capabilities for its existing premium-packaged solutions, including:
- Splunk ITSI 3.0: The latest version of Splunk ITSI revolutionizes event monitoring by combining service context with machine learning to help identify existing and potential issues, prioritize restoration of business-critical services and deliver analytics-driven IT operations. Splunk ITSI 3.0 applies service context, including dependencies, to events and employs machine learning to reduce the noise of alert fatigue and surface only the most critical information.
- Splunk UBA 4.0: The new version of Splunk UBA enables customers to create and load their own machine learning models to identify custom anomalies and threats via Splunk UBA’s new software development kit (SDK). This first-of-its kind capability opens up Splunk UBA to the world, giving users more power to detect insider attacks and automate correlation of anomalous behavior into high fidelity threats.
- Machine Learning Toolkit: Free to any customer, the Splunk Machine Learning Toolkit (MLTK) is a data science application that anyone can use to predict future IT, security and business outcomes. Recent updates include machine learning model management, which integrates user permissions via an intuitive user interface. In addition, the MLTK now includes public machine learning APIs for open source and proprietary algorithms, and a data prep module to help customers prepare and clean their data before initiating machine learning modeling.
With increased demand for premium-packaged solutions, Splunk is also announcing new and updated solutions to tackle specific customer security needs in security and IT operations:
- Splunk ES Content Update: Bringing human intelligence and machine data closer, Splunk Enterprise Security (ES) Content Update is a new subscription service that offers pre-packaged security content to Splunk ES customers. Splunk ES Content Update will regularly deliver dynamic new content to security practitioners to detect specific threats, help security teams investigate threats and manage the decision-making process to make it easier to choose responses.
- Security Essentials for Fraud Detection: Splunk Security Essentials for Fraud Detection is a free Splunk app that guides customers on how to use Splunk to identify and investigate different types of fraud, including healthcare, payment card and transactional fraud. Using Splunk MLTK and a range of Splunk data analysis functions, Splunk Security Essentials for Fraud Detection makes it easier for customers to understand and adapt fraud use cases for their own environments.
- Splunk Insights for AWS Cloud Monitoring: Also available in the Amazon Marketplace as an Amazon Machine Image (AMI), Splunk Insights for AWS Cloud Monitoring provides organizations with an analytics-based approach to cloud monitoring. This solution offers real-time awareness of performance, security, operational and cost management insights from Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Splunk Insights for Ransomware: Splunk Insights for Ransomware is a solution priced per user that provides organizations with real-time insights for proactive assessment and rapid investigation of potential ransomware threats.
- Booz Allen Hamilton Cyber4Sight for Splunk: A solution which empowers security analysts and threat hunters with actionable threat intelligence, Cyber4Sight for Splunk is now generally available. The new app combines cyber insights and security intelligence from Booz Allen’s threat intelligence service with analytics-driven security insights from Splunk ES.
Splunk will also be previewing two new future technologies at .conf2017:
- Splunk Project Waitomo: A new infrastructure monitoring solution that unifies logs and metrics, delivering integrated machine learning for alerts, trends and investigation.
- Splunk Project Nova: An API-based logging-as-a-service solution, targeting developers and DevOps practitioners.
Splunk Enterprise 7.0 is available today, with Splunk ITSI 3.0 and UBA 4.0 available next month. The new version of Splunk Cloud will be available by January 2018. Learn more about Splunk Enterprise on the Splunk website.
1Gartner, Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2017: Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Machine Learning, Mike J. Walker, Alexander Linden, David W. Cearley, March 15, 2017.
About Splunk Inc.
Splunk Inc. (NASDAQ: SPLK) turns machine data into answers. Organizations use market-leading Splunk solutions with machine learning to solve their toughest IT, Internet of Things and security challenges. Join millions of passionate users and discover your “aha” moment with Splunk today: http://www.splunk.com.
Splunk, Splunk>, Listen to Your Data, The Engine for Machine Data, Splunk Cloud, Splunk Light and SPL are trademarks and registered trademarks of Splunk Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other brand names, product names, or trademarks belong to their respective owners. © 2017 Splunk Inc. All rights reserved.