Splunk for Industrial Data and the Internet of Things
New insights from sensors, devices and industrial systems including SCADA.
The Industrial Data and Internet of Things (IoT) Challenge
Disparate and deployed connected devices, sensors and industrial systems (including SCADA) provide a unique touchpoint to real-world operations and conditions. But collection, storage and insight into machine data generated by industrial systems and the Internet of Things can be a challenge.
Splunk software is a scalable and versatile platform for machine data generated by all of the devices, control systems, sensors, SCADA, networks, applications and end users connected by today's networks. Use Splunk to collect, index and harness the power of the machine data generated by connected devices deployed on your local network or around the world.
Use Cases for Industrial Data and the Internet of Things
Splunk Enterprise provides a platform for unique real-time insight into the operations and conditions of deployed devices and systems. Examples of what can be gained using Splunk software:
- Measurement, Verification and Constant Commissioning: Ensure that devices in the field operate as intended.
- Capacity Planning: Monitor data for risk of unplanned device or system downtime.
- Root-Cause Analysis and Remote Troubleshooting: Better understand the cause of a particular failure on a particular device and improve efficiency.
- Anomaly and Outlier Detection: Identify outliers that may be an early indicator of issues in device production or deployment.
- Safety and Compliance: Gain visibility into system performance or set points that could put machines or people at risk; quickly develop and access reports for compliance purposes.
- Cyber-Security: Improve security posture across industrial systems to mitigate emerging cyber security threats.
Sensor Data Insights Improve Energy Efficiency
McKenney's, a leading mechanical contracting and engineering firm, is using Splunk software to provide its customers with business analytics from sensor data, mechanical systems, smart metering systems and energy management software. Learn more in the case study.
Medical Informatics Enable Connected Hospitals
Due to the rapid introduction of connected devices in hospitals, informatics is becoming key for healthcare IT. A hospital chain with over 150 hospitals is using Splunk software to monitor and gain insight from data generated by over 4,000 mobile devices that collect various patient vital signs.
Telematics Data Enhances Transportation Safety and Fuel Efficiency
New York Air Brake (NYAB), a leading provider of rail technology, is using Splunk software to gather operational insights from the big data produced by train management systems.
Connecting Splunk Software With Industrial Systems
For the complex connectivity and proprietary data protocols often found in industrial environments, Splunk has partnered with Kepware Technologies, a leader in communication and interoperability solutions for the automation industry. Kepware's Industrial Data Forwarder for Splunk, a plug-in for its KEPServerEX platform, provides Splunk real-time streaming data collection from BACnet, Modbus and OPC sources, as well as industrial devices and applications from General Electric, Honeywell, Siemens and more.
Apps Connect Splunk to the IoT
There are many free add-ons and apps for Splunk software that simplify the connection and collection of data from both industrial systems and the Internet of Things. These include:
- Amazon Kinesis Modular Input: Index data from Amazon Kinesis, a fully managed service for real-time streaming data.
- MQTT Modular Input: Index messages from MQTT, a machine-to-machine connectivity protocol, by subscribing Splunk software to MQTT Broker Topics
- SNMP Modular Input: Collect data by polling attributes and catching traps from devices providing cooling and power distribution in the data center.
- Kafka Messaging Modular Input: Index messages from Apache Kafka messaging brokers, including clusters managed by Zookeeper.
- REST API Modular Input: Poll local and remote REST APIs and index the responses.
- JMS Modular Input: Poll and index data from messaging queues from providers such as TibcoEMS, Weblogic JMS and ActiveMQ
- AMQP Modular Input: Index data from message queues provided by AMQP brokers.
- Splunk App for Stream: Capture, filter and index real-time streaming wire data and network events.
Splunk Integrates With Leading IoT Platforms and Services
As businesses build and deploy connected devices, they are also deploying a new generation of IoT platforms and services. These platforms and services enable device connectivity, visibility and simple provisioning and remote device management; they act as both a gateway to device operations and provide a platform for interaction with remote device operations.
Splunk software enables powerful machine data analytics without the need for developers to build them from the ground up. IoT platform providers are already integrating Splunk technology with their platforms and making Splunk's platform for operational intelligence available to their own customers. For more information on Splunk's IoT platform technology partners, please contact our expert.