Any data, Any Compliance
Compliance mandates such as PCI, HIPAA and FISMA require businesses to protect, track, and control access to and usage of sensitive information. Each requirement has its own set of complicated, costly, and time consuming demands. Addressing these strains IT resources and creates redundant processes and expenditures within an organization.
For example, compliance audits result in a lot of manual data requests, creating a huge distraction for IT. Companies are required to retain data for long periods, driving the purchase of expensive log management software, appliances and related storage, just to comply in this one area, but with little operational value. Compliance requirements to monitor logs and changes drive costly investments in SIEM, change monitoring and other technologies to implement specific monitoring and controls. Compliance also impacts day-to-day operations with segregation of duties keeping developers and operational teams off production systems, which in turn affects troubleshooting and system availability.
Cost Effective, Repeatable Compliance Solutions
Splunk solves all of these challenges in one place. Splunk indexes your machine data in real-time, allowing you to search, alert and report on all of it. You can generate reports in seconds while at the same time meeting requirements to collect and retain specific audit trails. Splunk's ability to also do both security and change monitoring satisfies requirements to meet these controls. It even allows developers to safely access production data, without distracting operations teams or causing compliance violations or exceptions.
The hundreds of customers using Splunk for compliance routinely comment on their ability to quickly close compliance gaps, enable greater levels of automation to meet compliance mandates, and demonstrate compliance across all requirements from a single system.
Using Splunk for compliance helps satisfy the requirements of multiple mandates in a single system. You can monitor access to and usage of all your sensitive data and quickly generate reports to demonstrate compliance with the given regulation more simply and cost-effectively than before.
- FISMA - Securely collect, index and store all of your log and machine data along with audit trails to meet the critical requirements of regulations and standards affecting United States federal agencies and contractors.
- PCI - Meet requirements for audit trail collection, retention and review. Generate reports in seconds to prove compliance with any control. Comply with explicit data control requirements across your infrastructure, including file integrity monitoring.
- SEC - Use Splunk and pattern-based analysis as part of a risk mitigation strategy for "Risks related to cyber incidents that may remain undetected for an extended period," as suggested by the SEC for 10-K risk-factors guidance.
- Reduce effort and cost by meeting all compliance mandates from a single system.
- Protect against compliance control exceptions by monitoring all of your IT infrastructure data for early warning signs.
- Reduce time spent responding to ad-hoc auditor requests by enabling compliance teams to get data without requesting it from operations teams.
- Streamline monitoring of security events by automatically alerting on threats across your entire IT infrastructure.
- Minimize the burden of mandated log reviews by automating the entire daily log review process.
- Perform comprehensive investigations in minutes instead of hours or days by searching and analyzing all of your logs, audit trails and other relevant data across your entire IT infrastructure from one place.
- Improve productivity by eliminating much of the time spent responding to ad-hoc auditor requests.
- Increase system security and stability by eliminating direct access to production systems for compliance troubleshooting and analysis.
- Stop playing "data butler" by giving security analysts and developers self-service, controlled ability to perform ad-hoc searches of production data across all applications, servers and network devices.
- Get productive and work around compliance limitations by performing ad-hoc searches on all of your production data from one place without requiring direct access to production servers.
- Resolve production issues faster by monitoring for early warning signs across all of your production applications and systems.
Compliance Using Splunk
With Splunk you can address these regulatory issues:
Secure data retention
Splunk provides the most efficient and secure solution for capturing and retaining all of your machine data for the extended periods demanded by most compliance mandates. Data is efficiently compressed, yet still useful, with clear chain-of-evidence, even for application logs.
Controlled data access
Eliminate the compliance barriers that inhibit operations by controlling access to your machine data, but allow the appropriate access necessary to get the job done. Also see Application Management.
Splunk not only enables compliance with explicit requirements to monitor, review and retain logs, configurations and other machine data, but it lets you demonstrate compliance quickly and easily with powerful auditor-friendly reporting.
Comply with requirements for automatic monitoring of security events. Index audit trails across firewalls, applications, access control, IDS and any other component, then simply save, schedule and set alerting rules for any search.
Generate standard and ad-hoc reports across all PCI affected systems and data sources. Empower compliance team to access required data safely and securely without involving other groups.
Splunk lets you monitor all your files, registry, database changes, and more using same system that you use for log management.
Audit trail review
The chore of compliance-mandated routine log review can be easy and straightforward with fast search, visualization, filters and tagging.