Splunk App for Unix and Linux
Gain comprehensive operational visibility into large-scale Unix and Linux environments
Large-scale Linux and Unix environments in today's datacenters have dense distributed applications that create significant operational challenges. In such complex deployments, IT professionals find it difficult to quickly identify and drill down to machines with OS issues, which creates extended down times with increased MTTR. Also, to meet availability and performance service levels of distributed multi-tier applications, you need to be able to quickly correlate application problems with OS issues or issues in other areas of your infrastructure. The Splunk App for Unix and Linux provides complete visibility across highly complex operating environments and brings you:
Reduced Problem Investigation and Resolution Times
- Visualize the operational health of your Unix and Linux environment through innovative dashboards customizable to service-groupings in your environment
- Utilize NOC-like dashboards for insight into resource consumption of desired systems
- Visualize your most important performance metrics with flexible statistical comparisons for easy identification of anomalies and outliers across all your systems
- Proactively monitor your environment by utilizing twelve out-of-the-box pre-packaged alerts accessible through various flexible visualizations including configurable headline style views
- Scale your Splunk environment to easily include and monitor new systems and services
Flexible Operational Analytics
- Quickly compare CPU, RAM and disk capacity utilization across many hosts to identify capacity allocation issues
- Extend Splunk capabilities for Enterprise Security and PCI compliance to your Linux and Unix systems
- Correlate data from your Unix and Linux infrastructure with data from applications, network, virtual and physical infrastructure for your enterprise-wide visibility
With the growing complexity of enterprise applications and large distributed virtual, server and storage infrastructures, enterprises are faced with increased spending on both IT personnel and various monitoring systems. With its capability to monitor large distributed Linux and Unix environments, as well as through native correlation capabilities, the Splunk App for Unix and Linux reduces the number of deployed monitoring solutions and frees IT personnel from repetitive tasks.
Central Visibility Into Operational Health
Get instant visibility into the operational health of Unix and Linux environments. Organize your hosts by groups of services specific to your environment. Utilize NOC-like dashboards for central insight into problems and visualize resource consumption of selected systems for easy detection of outliers and anomalies.
Performance and Resource Utilization Analytics
Set multiple customizable thresholds for your CPU and memory utilization across your groups of hosts to easily spot trends and spikes in resource utilization in your infrastructure. Use flexible statistical comparisons across 42 important host and OS metrics to isolate anomalies. Visualize trends and display side-by-side performance comparisons of the several hosts of interests to understand trends, establish baselines and optimize resource allocations. Quickly compare CPU, RAM and disk historical capacity utilization across many different hosts to identify increased resource consumption.
Get real-time notifications of important events from your Unix and Linux environment using pre-packaged threshold-based alerts. Quickly assess the business impact of important events and conduct remediation actions through insight into snapshots of various OS metrics around the time-specific alert fired. Compare the behavior of various hosts in your systems and create long term trends based on the alerts activity in your environment.
Correlation Across Technologies
Combine your OS data with data from all other technology tiers such as applications, virtual, storage, networks and servers to gain a complete, centralized view of KPIs across your enterprise. Utilize the powerful Splunk search language, visualizations and correlations to find causal links across technologies. Get an accurate picture of resource usage and performance across multiple tiers of your IT stack.
Common Information Model Compatibility
Accelerate your deployment of new apps, users, data sources and features by utilizing this app's compatibility with the Splunk Common Information Models (CIM). CIM compatibility enables quick time to value, as it allows for fast correlation of events from disparate technologies by Splunk apps such as the Splunk App for Enterprise Security and Splunk App for PCI Compliance.
Only Splunk and Splunk apps help you:
- Correlate system metrics and events data with data from other technology tiers easily
- Find causal links between application performance issues and the underlying OS, hypervisor, storage, network and server infrastructure
- Gain complete operational visibility by providing central operational health dashboards across heterogeneous environments
- Discover capacity-constrained or idle systems
- Track changes and secure your environment by monitoring the environment for suspicious activity, user role changes, unauthorized access and more