Splunk Introduces Splunk Enterprise 6.1
New Version Delivers Mission-critical Operational Intelligence to the Global Enterprise
SAN FRANCISCO - May 6, 2014 - Splunk Inc. (NASDAQ: SPLK), provider of the leading software platform for real-time Operational Intelligence, today announced the general availability of Splunk® Enterprise 6.1, the latest version of the award-winning platform for machine data available as software or as a cloud service. Splunk Enterprise 6.1 delivers enhanced interactive analytics, continuous availability of mission-critical machine data and extends operational intelligence to every user in the organization. Watch the Splunk Enterprise video to learn more about what’s new and download Splunk Enterprise 6.1 today.
“Splunk Enterprise 6.1 adds important new capabilities for supporting high availability of mission-critical machine data analytics, embedding operational insights into other business applications and enabling powerful interactive data visualization and exploration,” said Guido Schroeder, senior vice president of products, Splunk. “Splunk’s clustering supports deployments that span multiple sites, an important requirement for globally operating enterprises, and we have further expanded our interactive visualization and information delivery features to provide machine data insights to broader audiences.”
“Delivering world class IT services and responding to the needs of the business requires putting the right data in the right hands at the right time. Whether it’s serving as an IT first responder or the CIO, Splunk Enterprise 6.1 looks to accomplish this feat with a wide variety of new capabilities,” said Michael Coté, research director of Infrastructure Software, 451 Research. “Splunk is aiming high with the new release delivering resiliency with multi-site clustering, enabling access to mainframe data, more contextual alerting mechanisms and embeddable reports into business apps like Salesforce and Microsoft® SharePoint.”
Key features and updates in Splunk Enterprise 6.1 include:
Enabling the Mission-critical Enterprise
- Multi-site Clustering: Delivers continuous availability for Splunk Enterprise deployments that span multiple sites, countries or continents by replicating raw and indexed data in a clustered configuration.
- Search Affinity: Provides a performance increase when using multi-site clustering by routing search and analytics requests to the nearest cluster, increasing performance and decreasing network usage.
- zLinux Forwarder: Allows for application and platform data from IBM mainframes to be easily collected and indexed by Splunk Enterprise.
- Data Preview with Structured Inputs: Enables previewing of massive data files to verify alignment of fields and headers before indexing to improve data quality and the time it takes to discover critical insights.
Embedding Operational Intelligence
- Embedded Reports: Enable any Splunk report or table to be embedded in third-party business applications such as salesforce.com, WordPress, Wiki, Microsoft® SharePoint and more.
- Custom Alerts: Deliver alerts with embedded machine data context, thereby reducing mean-time-to-resolution (MTTR) and providing the ability to customize alert templates.
Delivering Enhanced Interactive Analytics
- Enhanced Dashboard Editor: Build advanced dashboards through the UI and without requiring advanced XML coding.
- Chart Overlay: Improves data analysis by providing the ability to overlay one chart on top of another.
- Contextual Drilldown: Enables more detailed insights when clicking on a dashboard panel without leaving the context of the dashboard itself.
- Pan-and-Zoom Controls: Enables more focused analytics by enabling a range of interest on a chart and zoom in for deeper analysis.
Customers Depend on Splunk Enterprise
Splunk customers praise multi-site clustering, custom alerts and the enhanced analytics features as key developments in Splunk Enterprise 6.1:
“Splunk once again delivered meaningful updates to the platform we rely upon for the data analytics and operational intelligence of our business,” said Nick Hills, vice president of technology, Cognia, provider of communications capture, storage and analytics solutions for global enterprises and services providers. “We generate a lot of alerts and often direct them outside of our environment to partners such as mobile operators. Being able to add better explanation and detail delivers a huge benefit to our business and customers. Multisite clustering is also a game changer for us. We not only gain a stronger compliance posture through replicated data copies but also can now make analytics run in any geography through secondary sites.”
“Splunk Enterprise 6.1, through multi-site clustering, provides a way for us to meet one of the most important objectives at Middlesex Hospital. It helps us protect and meet the needs of our patients by keeping the hospital's critical systems running even in the event of a single-site outage," said Ant Lefebvre, senior systems engineer, Middlesex Hospital, one of the top 100 hospitals in the U.S. “Additionally, the new enhanced productivity features provide access to a greater number of hospital users that benefit from critical insights found in machine data. With the new, targeted email alerts, for instance, we can filter out unnecessary or misdirected system-generated emails. This filters out the 'email noise' and only generates alerts that should be acted upon.”
Register now for .conf2014, the 5th Annual Splunk Worldwide Users' Conference. .conf2014 will feature more than 130 sessions and is expected to attract more than 4,000 Splunk customers, partners, experts and employees. .conf2014 is being held October 6-October 9 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
About Splunk Inc.
Splunk Inc. (NASDAQ: SPLK) provides the leading software platform for real-time Operational Intelligence. Splunk® software and cloud services enable organizations to search, monitor, analyze and visualize machine-generated big data coming from websites, applications, servers, networks, sensors and mobile devices. More than 7,000 enterprises, government agencies, universities and service providers in over 90 countries use Splunk software to deepen business and customer understanding, mitigate cybersecurity risk, prevent fraud, improve service performance and reduce cost. Splunk products include Splunk® Enterprise, Splunk Cloud™, Splunk Storm®, Hunk™ and premium Splunk Apps. To learn more, please visit http://www.splunk.com/company.
Splunk, Splunk>, Listen to Your Data, The Engine for Machine Data, Hunk, Splunk Cloud, Splunk Storm, SPL, Splunk MINT Express and Splunk MINT Enterprise are trademarks and registered trademarks of Splunk Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other brand names, product names, or trademarks belong to their respective owners. © 2015 Splunk Inc. All rights reserved.