Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
We are building the next generation micros-services based Cloud-native Data Platform - the very foundation on which all Splunk products will run. As Head of Design, you will have a unique opportunity to build and produce ideas that will evolve and craft our company – the product, people and culture.
Are you both a forward-thinking creative and an excellent business leader? You will lead the team responsible for creating a compelling and visually appealing user experience. From the very first interaction, our product represents everything the Splunk brand stands for in the mind of our customers. You will ensure that our products establish that strong emotional connection with our users and make the Splunk products more impactful, attractive, and desirable. This position reports directly to the CTO and will own the UI/UX design team as well as UX research.
- Design leader responsible for all design functions, departments, and locations.
- Influential leader both within and outside of the Products and Technology organization, representing Design across the business, including but not limited to all product development functions.
- Collaborate across the company specifically within Engineering, Product Management, and Marketing that will result in implementing features that will have the ultimate level of customer impact
- Lead and develop and best-in-class Design leadership team; establish and exemplify leadership norms for the entire organization.
- Integrate Design within the product development process and be an advocate for design within partner organizations and stakeholder groups.
- Affect deep levels of change in terms of how design functions with its peers in Product and Engineering.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a large organization, leadership team, and individuals. Can flex and adapt to audiences at all levels and across stakeholders/partners..
- Drive operational and execution excellence, while leading creative and holistic thinking at scale across diverse product releases, platforms. Ensure Design brings the best creative thinking to the product/business/customer with consistency and within committed timeframes.
- Work closely with direct and indirect team members to define, document and maintain our overall user experience strategy, rollout, and maintenance for Splunk products.
- Set the tone and vision for behaviors that align with company values, foster collaboration, achieve results, and are inclusive.
- Possess a forward-thinking capacity and the demonstrated ability to motivate teams both inside and out the department to follow and invest in their ideas.
- Sets direction, shapes the organization, and manages resources (financial, people, technological, etc), in alignment with organizational vision and company priorities.
- Ultimate responsibility for developing internal talent within and recruiting top talent to the Spunk Design organization. This includes leading community facing aspects of the Splunk employee experience.
- Embody excellence in product design at all levels. Represent the department at the highest levels within the company and influence product and brand direction.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in Design, HCI or related field.
- Previous experience in UX, including interaction design, visual design, motion design, prototyping, and research. A comprehensive understanding of the user-centered design process is critical. Specifically:
- 10+ years building, managing and mentoring a team of researchers and designers, including senior level and lead designers
- 7+ years experience in the design of multi-device software/applications
- Solid understanding of how to test, measure and refine designs based on customer feedback and market data.
- Previous experience implementing a user-centric design methodology in product development.
- Strong leadership skills enabling the design team's creativity and drive to continually improve their work.
- You have a portfolio with examples of your work to be considered for this position.
- Embody a strong and effective creative point of view inside the organization.
- Strong attention to detail, especially in crafting the ideas, education across different functional teams and following through with successful execution.
- You bring the ability and interest to help lead cultural shifts in the organization including product transformation.
- You are a storyteller with strong business communication and presentation abilities.
- You have an intellectual curiosity that inspires others around you.