Join us as we pursue our disruptive vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most significantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey.
The US Payroll Manager is responsible for leading our US payroll processes. You will report to the Global Payroll Director. In this position you will provide the forward-thinking and strategic direction of our US payroll processes and operations. This role will lead two Payroll Processing Analysts. You have excellent leadership skills in identifying and implementing payroll process improvements along with incorporating standard methodologies. It is critical that you have strong project management skills to coordinate the planning, implementation, ensuring compliance and administration of programs. You have a wealth of Workday payroll technical knowledge and will be responsible for leading all payroll system implementation enhancements. The role will require to work with the payroll vendor to develop, adjust, and/or enhance payroll systems and procedures due to changes in tax laws, regulations, and our pay policies/compensation initiatives. You will champion relationships with cross functional organizations such as Tax, Legal, Human Resources, IT, SOX, Internal Audit, as well as with our external vendors. This position is ideally suited for a leader who can enforce policies, influence and effectively communicate cross-functionally in a fast-paced, growing and ever-changing environment. You will ensure high value customer service to employees; including developing and adhering to established SLAs and ensuring research and responses are thorough
- Lead US payroll processing, compliance and work closely with the local vendors and Accountants on various accounting activities, including exempt and non-exempt payrolls, expense report reimbursement, monthly/quarterly accounting close activities, account maintenance and reconciliations, financial reporting and variance analysis.
- Overall management and analysis of payroll operations and related activities that can ensure compliance with US jurisdictions for 4,000 US + employees and growing.
- Lead the efforts of the payroll processing staff and vendors to ensure timely and accurate process output.
- Work directly with cross-functional department leads and employees on complex employment tax matters.
- Maintain effective internal controls for the payroll function and enthusiastically work with management to identify process improvements and gaps.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and maintenance of all payroll policies, objectives, and short/long-term planning.
- Ensure financial reporting is standardized and ensure compliance with GAAP accounting rules that affect payroll accounts.
- Drive meetings with cross-functional departments (HR, Stock Admin, IT, Legal, Internal Audit, FP&A, etc.) to identify and implement improvements and standard methodologies to drive excellence and eliminate errors.
- Resolve customer concerns, by working with the payroll vendor and cross-functional lead in obtaining and understanding root cause analysis and corrective action for all complex or non-routine situations for all levels of employees and management.
- Partner with Human Resources on all matters involving employee compensation, benefits, mobility and disability payments. Understand proper taxation of employer paid benefits and work with Benefits on the Worker’s compensation & 401K annual audits by providing necessary reports.
- Diligently working with legal to ensure payroll compliance, data privacy and security are in place. Working with IT to implement and config payroll system to carry out those compliance.
- Partner with Stock Admin to ensure timely and accurate stock compensation reporting.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Ensure proper review and submission of payroll is performed. This includes all payroll inputs are accurately analyzed. Includes but not limited to; performing payroll analysis such as total gross payroll to net payment, average paid per headcount by country, and comparison of analysis to prior period, etc.
- Drive technical changes within the Payroll organization, including the build out of implementation & test plans, test cases, parallel testing, etc.
- 10+ years of US payroll experience with a minimum of 5+ years of people management experience.
- Certified Payroll Professional preferred.
- Strong experience in development of efficiencies in payroll processes, directing changes, and internal controls.
- In-depth knowledge of US payroll regulations and reporting requirements, including current multi-state payroll tax experience is required.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to prioritize tasks/responsibilities, meet deadlines and thrive under the pressure of time constraints while maintain accuracy and focus on attention to detail.
- Strong personal computer and business solutions software skills.
- Technical experience related to turning manual processes into technical solutions
- Dedicated, assertive, strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Prior experience using the Workday payroll and timekeeping system is a must.
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written are required.
- Leadership, project management, change management, and mentoring skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with and influence partners at all levels.
- Superior leadership and management skills supported by a strong customer service orientation and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or related field preferred.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.