The Cloud organization at Splunk focuses on building and maintaining robust and resilient platform solutions for SaaS hosting of Splunk’s enterprise software. Our main technologies are Cloud Infrastructure based, focusing on puppet and terraform. The TechOps team is globally distributed with teams based in SF, Plano, Sydney, and London.
You will set up, manage, maintain and solve Splunk’s SaaS customer facing systems, Splunk Cloud. This position is an opportunity to join the team that is responsible for Cloud’s operational infrastructure and delivery.
We are looking for a TechOps Engineer to help maintain, contribute to and improve the next generation of our large scale Cloud offering. You will be working with providers and supporting the infrastructure that powers Splunk’s cloud offering.
- You have operational experience at scale. You have had hands-on roles that deal with operating systems (particularly Linux), supervising systems (including Splunk), Cloud technologies, and networking. Your previous job titles might be something close to systems admin, network engineer, or DevOps engineer.
- You’re passionate about your work. Our customers are passionate about Splunk, and we want the same from our engineers. You should enjoy actively being responsible for your work and be passionate about your projects.
- You love large sophisticated systems. Experience in working on distributed systems or a passion for finding edge cases that appear at scale. You're interested in how to bring something from a small one off task to how to implement it across several thousand machines at once.
- You have some development skills. We have code in several languages, ranging from Python to Golang. We don’t expect you to be a software engineer but you should be familiar with basic programming and understand concepts like input sanitization and unit testing.
- “How can I automate this process?” is a question you constantly ask yourself.
- Data drives your decisions. You make decisions based on numbers rather than assumptions. If an issue arises, you strive to be alerted before our customers notice.
- You care about standard methodologies and innovation. Getting useful feedback excites you and you’re not worried about changing direction when a solution isn’t working as expected.
- Experience as a Linux system administrator supporting enterprise computing platforms and systems
- Splunk administration and architecture design experience
- Understanding of Splunk search processing language (SPL)
- Experience with virtualization technologies
- Experience with Cloud providers, AWS or GCP
- Experience supporting customer facing multi-tenant infrastructure (SaaS) or similar cloud related services
- Experience with Python, Golang, Shell, and open source based systems
- Bachelor's Degree or comparable work experience
What We Provide
- Opportunities to develop and grow as an engineer. We are always expanding into new areas, working with open-source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A team of awesome, capable and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering to product management and customer support.
- Breadth and depth. You are interested to work in an area that dynamically scales to meet the needs. You want to go deep into optimizing how we automate every manual process and tedious task we encounter.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe that mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative, and supportive work environment. Honesty and collaboration are values we see as a core of our team identity. We understand the value in open communication—working together to get things done, and to adapt to the changing needs of the team and individuals. This is reflected in both our internal communications and also in how we interact with our customers.
- Balance. We're not expecting people to work 12-hour days. We want you to be successful outside of work too. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and commitment, and believe that balance helps cultivate a positive environment.
- Fun! Work doesn’t have to always be about working. We organize frequent team lunches and other optional team building events to help you get to know other members in a more relaxed environment.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.