Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
As Splunk's Technology Advocate & Developer Relations for DevOps, ITOps, and SRE, you will be able to demonstrate your positive profile and broad reach, your deep understanding of relevant technologies and trends, and your excellent communications ability to drive excitement for VictorOps, Splunk, and other cool technologies.
Using your technology experience and communication skills, you will be able to educate, influence, excite, and activate buyers and influencers through public appearances (conferences and events); publications (blogs, journal articles); multi-media (webinars, podcasts, videos); direct engagement (with customers and prospects); and ‘influencer’ engagement (leaders with vision, bloggers, analysts, press).
This role is part of the global IT Markets Technology Advocacy team, working with the Chief Technology Advocate for IT Markets. You will have the opportunity to work closely with Sales, SE, Marketing, and other teams at Splunk.
This role requires a strong hands-on product and practitioner background, plus superb communication skills – written and verbal, in-person and remote, for large audiences and small. You will represent Splunk as a strategic leader with vision and influencer in the ITOps, DevOps, and SRE communities.
- You will present thought-leading topics at tradeshows, conferences, events, and meetups in three key modes: earned (invited through CFPs and personal networking); paid (events we sponsor – like DevOps Days or AWS re:Invent); owned (events we put on – like .conf or SplunkLive)
- You will work directly with customers to help them be successful by answering product/usage questions, proposing new and alternative solutions, sharing knowledge and insight about other customers and outcomes. These will be done in person and via phone, email, chat, social media, and forums.
- You will use your creativity and talent to provide a steady cadence of engaging and informative content. This includes blogs, tutorials, podcasts, journal articles, videos, presentations, papers, etc., while working with partners on joint success stories and marketing campaigns, and some ghost-writing for our busy senior leaders.
- You will help create a notable and positive presence among relevant influencer communities by engaging vocal practitioners (in customer/prospect organizations) and pundits (analysts, press, bloggers and more) through different avenues such as meetups, social media, forums, and online communities
- You will contribute and impact sales success by providing a knowledgeable, informative, and helpful source of insight and experience for direct customer meetings, seminars and workshops, customer and executive briefings, field sales events, etc.
- We are looking for at least 5 years working with IT Systems Management, IT Operations, Web/Cloud Development, DevOps, Systems Administration, Site Reliability Engineering, or equivalent areas
- 10 years overall experience in related areas is ideal but we are flexible for the right skillset and experience
- You know how to create and deliver in-person and web-based presentations on thought-leading topics, including conference keynotes, breakout sessions, meetups, and webinars
- You have the ability to create content and publish thought-leading technology topics – incl. blog posts, vidcasts/podcasts, journal articles, interviews, and white papers
- You have experience in a software sales environment, ideally in a technical customer-facing role (pre-sales engineer, solutions architect, product management, product marketing)
- You have working knowledge of New IT technologies and approaches - including cloud-native, DevOps, ChatOps, agile, SRE, containers, automation/orchestration, and other similar concepts
- If you have experience as a Technology Evangelist, it is helpful but not required; however, an existing body of public content (blogs, podcasts, papers, presentations, videos, etc.) is important
- Splunk and/or VictorOps experience is ideal, but experience with alternative and/or complementary solutions in IT Operations, SRE, and DevOps will be considered positively
- You identify as a self-starter who enjoys working in a dynamic and collaborative environment, able to set and meet objectives with minimal direct supervision, with the dedication to be awesome every single day
- You are an open collaborator who enjoys interacting with others at all levels (especially hands-on technology geeks!) in both professional and social settings
- You are able to travel as needed for the position. This role will include an estimated 50% or more travel, including on some (though hopefully very few) weekends.
- You have a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or related discipline
- We will consider a Bachelor of Arts degree coupled with substantial experience in IT Ops/DevOps
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.