Are you passionate about learning new technologies and understanding how they work? Are you interested in an opportunity to work with an upbeat team to help drive its products to a new level? We are looking for a seasoned, creative Performance Engineer Manager to help us focus on the scalability and performance of our products and create meaningful benchmarks that address customer use cases.
At Splunk, each and every release of our software is highly scrutinized to meet the demands of our customers. As a Principal Performance Engineer, you'll have a key role in our products' success. You will collaborate with peers, field teams, customers to understand and encapsulate the use cases into industry standard benchmarks. You will work with product management and interface directly with our customers to get direct exposure to the usage patterns we strive to satisfy. You will also drive projects to integrate benchmarking into our continuous integration and test automation frameworks.
What You'll Be Doing:
- You will lead a team of world-class, highly motivated software engineers who are responsible to make Splunk products performant, scalable and reliable. You will be responsible for providing performance insights and identify optimization opportunities to product stakeholders, triage production performance bottlenecks, and identify and fix performance issues while working with all engineering teams.
- Work with various product teams design and develop state-of-art solutions to existing performance problems, and performance analysis tools to allow dev teams to gain further insight into production behavior.
- You will help foster the engineering culture of owning performance, so every engineer knows that their code is comprehensively tested in an autonomous fashion as they deploy to each environment.
- In order to effectively manage this team, you will need exceptional leadership skills, familiarity with performance tools, proficiency with agile development methodologies, and the ability to operate within short release cycles.
- Own end-to-end performance coverage, identify bottlenecks and work with the Engineering teams to address issues.
- Encourage a data-driven culture to improve the performance, efficiency and scalability of services and systems to help scale the company.
- Daily management of objectives, priorities, trade offs, risk as well as performance management of all staff reporting to you.
- Provide technical leadership, career development, and mentoring to team members.
Who You Are & What Makes You Qualified:
- 5+ years performance engineering experience with a distinguished track record of driving performance across a large team
- 2+ years management experience with demonstrated ability to attract, develop and retain talent.
- Masters/Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Equivalent Experience.
- Strong technical skills in Big Data Platform and distributed computing system performance. Domain knowledge in cloud computing.
- Skilled in both the art and science of benchmark creation and measurement and modeling of system behavior under load
- Ability to find root cause of performance bottlenecks with profiling tools, pstack, qmlprofiler
- Passionate to optimize the performance bottlenecks and improve the product
- Experience in tackling problems of load, scale, and optimizations of complex large-scale deployments
- Expert in scripting languages (Python) and compiled languages (C/C++)
- Ability to motivate people, instill accountability and achieve results.
- Agile, proactive, comfortable working with ambiguous specifications and can prioritize on the fly.
- Experience with enterprise software capacity planning a big plus
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.