Splunk Legal is looking for a talented and motivated product attorney to serve as a legal business partner to the growing teams within our Products Organization and Market Groups. You will work closely with key internal business and technology partners on various strategic and day-to-day legal matters relating to the development and release of our products and services. You will support the introduction of new solutions, ensure product readiness, create scalable compliance strategies, and address customer requirements. The position will be based in our San Francisco or San Jose office and will report to the Sr. Director, Products and Marketing (Legal).
Personal Characteristics and Skills
To succeed in this role, you will need to possess and exemplify excellent business judgment and critical thinking; maintain a strong work ethic and a high degree of accountability; and have the ability to use business context to generate pragmatic and effective legal solutions to achieve business objectives while mitigating risks. You should be able to work independently as well as collaboratively and flexibly in a collegial, fast-paced and rapidly changing environment; and adapt your approach and demeanor to match shifting demands of different situations. You should possess excellent communication skills (oral and written) and advanced interpersonal and influencing skills to build trusted relationships both within and outside the department. Success requires self-motivation, self-reliance, confidence, diligence and a passion to learn about new technologies and to pave ways in unchartered territories. Maintain a sense of humor and lives the mantra—work hard, have fun, make history.
- Support product development, readiness and releases by identifying and recommending resolution of issues related to intellectual property matters, data privacy & security, marketing, competition, and other legal and regulatory issues
- Build a trusted advisor relationship with senior managers
- Engage with product team members at all levels, including product managers, release managers, software engineers, data scientists, technical writers and marketing
- Partner with cloud, mobile and technology teams to support various initiatives, including cloud readiness, app store launches, preview releases, early adopter programs and go-to-market plans
- Review, draft and negotiate technology agreements, including inbound/OEM license agreements, software license agreements, cloud terms of service, consulting and development agreements and other agreements that will provide third-party components for product development
- Perform due diligence to ensure compliance with inbound agreements, open source (O/S) licenses, security attestations and government regulations and certifications
- Review marketing materials and external communications relating to responsible product areas
- Collaborate with and support legal colleagues responsible for negotiating outbound agreements for Splunk offerings to achieve shared objectives
- Support M&A, investments or strategic alliance activities, including due diligence reviews, advising on transaction structure, and supporting transaction execution and integration requirements
- Assist in development and dissemination of other policies and procedures involving licensing, intellectual property and related issues
- Pitch in on other responsibilities as needed
- JD degree from ABA accredited university and member in good standing of the California Bar
- Minimum of 8 years of experience providing legal support to technology businesses at both a well-regarded law firm and corporate legal department
- At least 4 years of experience in the software/SaaS industry required with exposure to cloud and mobile; understanding of Big Data, machine learningand CI/CD a bonus
- Expertise in intellectual property, O/S issues, data privacy, information and product security, and export control compliance
- Deep experience and knowledge in reviewing technology license agreements and ability to negotiate difficult transactions
- Experience working with software developers and product managers to guide compliance with corporate policies and procedures and resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.