The Cloud organization builds robust and resilient auto-scaling platform solutions for hosting Splunk's enterprise software. The teams are fast-paced, high-velocity, and use state-of-the-art technology. The focus is always on automation, solving complex challenges that span across multiple groups within Splunk, ensuring smooth and expedient services to Splunk users.
We have a substantial AWS and Kubernetes presence of large-scale containerized systems. This is an incredible opportunity to utilize your existing cloud experience and drive the growth of the Splunk Cloud.
What we’re looking for
Splunk’s Cloud group is looking for a Principal Security Engineer to help lead, architect, design, build, and operate infrastructure and tools to continuously improve the security posture of our next generation Cloud offerings.
What you provide
- Security first. You know what it takes to build and operate secure software. You understand defense in depth, risk exposure, and the mechanics behind common exploits. You take a big picture view of security and understand how to maximize your impact to overall security posture. You have deep technical knowledge of secure coding practices, secure infrastructure, and vulnerability mitigation tactics.
- Technical Leadership. You can drive an initiative from concept to full production deployment while maintaining security and operational excellence throughout the process. You are comfortable working across teams and organizations to meet your goals. You influence other engineers with your technical depth and collaborative attitude.
- Knowledge of technical excellence. You know continuous delivery, testing, security practices, performance, and disaster recovery.
- Drive for automation. You constantly consider, "How can I automate this manual process?"
- Operational excellence. Data excites you and you make decisions based on numbers rather than assumptions. If an issue arises, you strive to be alerted before our customers notice.
- Unix/Linux expertise. You feel most comfortable working from your terminal emulator. You have deep knowledge of gnu & unix cli tools for system administration, operational automation, and network debugging.
- Desire to learn and adapt. Our team has a lot of projects going on at once, and you'll have the opportunity to learn to navigate the code and infrastructure. You'll constantly be learning new areas and new technologies.
- Passion. Our customers are passionate about Splunk and we want the same from our engineers. We want you to actively own your work and be excited about your projects.
- Ability to work with scripting languages. We have code in several languages, ranging from Shell to Python. You are always looking for ways to leverage scripting to minimize toil.
- Experience with Operations Automation Tooling. We utilize tools such as Hashicorp Vault & Terraform, Puppet, Ansible, and others to reduce toil involved in running large scale operations.
- Cloud and container experience. Building and scaling secure services on different cloud providers is a plus. You will use Kubernetes, Docker, and AWS.
- Keeping calm and carrying on. Capable in navigating through a product outage, skilled in identifying performance bottlenecks, spotting anomalous system behavior, and figuring out the root cause of incidents.
What we provide
- Opportunities to develop and grow as an engineer. We are always expanding into new areas, working with open-source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A team of incredibly capable and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering to product management and customer support.
- Breadth and depth. You are interested to work on an area that dynamically scales to meet the need of Splunk’s cloud offering. You want to go deep into optimizing how we automate every manual process and tedious task we encounter.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe that mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative, and supportive work environment. We work in an open environment, work together to get things done, and adapt to the changing needs for the team. We keep it real by being open and honest. We are a collaborative team that understands the value in open communication—it's how we interact with our customers.
- Balance. We don't expect people to work 12 hour days. We want you to be successful outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and commitment, and believe that balance helps cultivate a positive environment.
- Fun. We have frequent group outings and team building events. We are committed to having every employee want to give it their all, be respectful and a part of the family, and have a smile on their face while doing it.
Requirements: B.S. in Computer Science + 4 years engineering experience or 8 years engineering experience. Previous professional experience working in cloud environments and with ProdSec or SecOps.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.