Software Engineer - Front End - Accessibility
Join us in pursuit of a ground-breaking vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who love our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun, and celebrating each other’s success.
Splunk's UI team is seeking an exceptional Software Engineer to construct accessible, insightful, and inspiring user experiences for our flagship product, Splunk Enterprise. These experiences cover stories of IT and Security operations, compliance, user behavior, demographics, and changing patterns. We use the power of extensive datasets to answer our customers’ questions and help them to ask the right questions about their data and their business.
We give our engineers an environment in which they can contribute from day one while also leverage opportunities for learning and growth. You'll work at the intersection of data, engineering, and design with a cross-functional agile team of designers, product managers and engineers to build innovative and inclusive user experiences which will directly impact our customers.
What You'll Do
- Help understand and address accessibility issues across the organization
- Help evangelize and educate teams on accessibility standards and form best practices based on customer engagements and user research
- Build intuitive data analytics experiences
- Develop modern user interfaces that are both desktop and mobile browser friendly
- Collaborate with product management, designers and backend engineers to understand customer needs and translate them into product features and technical improvements.
- Participate in the development of project timelines, implementation design specifications, system flow diagrams, documentation, testing, and ongoing support of systems.
- Maintain and improve existing code with pride of ownership
- Drive the technical roadmap for front-end improvements, especially those related to web accessibility
- Foster a culture of collaboration, problem solving, and standards for our front-end community.
- Mentor other engineers, share the work you are doing, and participate in code reviews
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent degree.
- 5+ years of proven experience working with web and/or client-side technologies.
- Familiarity with WCAG 2.0 & 2.1, Section 508, and European Accessibility mandates.
- Experience with full stack and/or backend development
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking skills
- 3+ years of experience in screen readers and assistive technologies (NVDA, JAWS, VoiceOver, TalkBack)
- 3+ years of experience with accessibility standards for all platforms (web and mobile)
- 1+ years of experience with inclusive design
- Comfortable in building with command-line applications, source control, testing frameworks, continuous integration and other aspects of developing in large, distributed software teams
What We Offer You:
- A constant stream of new things for you to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of extraordinarily talented and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities.
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment.
- Work-life balance cultivates an extraordinary professional environment. We trust team members to be responsible with their time, and to be virtually present with teams across multiple locations.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.