Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are excited about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Are you interested in being part of a small team tasked to build the next-generation industry-leading platform for machine data? Splunk is looking for a Sr. Principal Software Engineer to join the effort to define and build the future of Splunk. You will be joining a team that's developing both the engine that drives our machine-data platform as well as the infrastructure to run and scale it.
We give our engineers an environment in which they can contribute from day one while also providing opportunities for learning and growth. You'll learn how our entire stack works - from data ingestion and storage to searching, reporting and building dashboards – all in distributed environments. The work you’ll do will directly impact the experience of our customers.
We are an engineering- and product-focused company. Our engineers take a leading role in designing, architecting, building and testing our product. Engineers at Splunk have a wide impact, from developing new capabilities like access control patterns to metrics ingestion and analysis to collaborating with customers to see their work be used to solve real-world problems.
What we provide:
- Opportunities to develop and grow as an engineer. We are the forefront of our industry, always expanding into new areas, and working with open source, modern technologies.
- A set of hardworking and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering to product management and customer support.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment. We work in an open environment, have a shared kitchen and sit down for a quick sync every morning.
- Balance. We don't expect people to work 12 hour days. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and commitment, and believe that balance helps cultivate a positive environment.
What you provide:
- Desire to Learn and Adapt. We have a lot of projects going on at once, and you'll have to learn to navigate the code and features. You'll constantly be learning new areas and new technologies.
- Passion. Our customers are passionate about Splunk and we want the same from our engineers. You are encouraged to actively own your work and be excited about your projects.
- Deep Understanding of Systems Programming. Examples of area you may be knowledgeable in may include how threads work, understanding of filesystems, server and kernel architectures, good grasp of data structures and algorithms, etc. You don't need to be an expert, but at least a theoretical foundation to build on is important.
- Strong Experience with Cloud and Containers. You have experience in writing software and operationalizing it for deployment to Cloud services, and you've worked with the container ecosystem using tools like Docker, ECS and Kubernetes.
- Domain expertise in Authentication, Traffic Management, Networking or Databases would be a plus, but is not required
- Experience 3+ years with a BS in Computer Science or related.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.