Join us as we pursue our new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
SPS (Stream Processing Service) I/O team is looking for Software Engineers to join us. Our team belongs to the GDI (Getting Data In) area, is part of the Platform Engineering organization, and focuses on data ingestion. We are responsible for stream processing data ingress and egress with a broad range of technologies, including micro services on various protocols, connectors to integrate with different messaging or streaming systems, cloud workload to pull/push data from/to major cloud providers. In addition, we also own the developer ecosystem such as SDK, API, templates, guide, tutorials, etc, to support the first party and third party developers.
If you enjoy building large scale, fully distributed big data platforms with high availability, reliability, scalability, and security in mind, our role will be a good fit!
- Develop and own moderate complexity features or sub-systems
- Break down complex tasks and estimate sprint sized software work
- Design for testability. Automate effective test cases, and make vital test framework improvements as required
- Consider subsystem reusability, modularity, and scaling as part of design.
- Spend most of the time developing code, and efficiently produces sophisticated, clean and re-usable code with no unnecessary complication or abstraction
- Begin to lead feature or sub-system design/code reviews and be recognized as the go-to developer for that feature
- Participate in design discussions, propose and discuss solutions to system and product changes that are directly related to your area of focus
- Receive guidance on overall product design from Senior Engineers
- Coordinate activities of other members and teams assigned to the same feature or subsystem.
- Participate in the technical evaluation during hiring process
- Start to build relationships with external teams
- Work with Product Managers on clearly defining user stories and acceptance criteria
- Experience coding in Java
- Skilled in developing and working with thoughtfully designed HTTP APIs, such as REST or GraphQL
- Skilled in test driven development, developing different levels of automated tests, such as unit test, functional test, integration test, system test, or performance / load test
- Familiar with CI/CD, such as Jenkins, GitLab CI, or Bitbucket pipeline
- Familiar with modern version control system, such as Git
- Familiar with development on multiple operating systems, such as Linux or Unix
- Able to learn new technologies quickly
- Capable of coordinating and mentoring the junior members in the team
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent
- 3+ years of relevant industry experience
Nice to Have:
- Experience with cloud technologies, such as AWS, Azure, or GCP. Ideally with certifications
- Experience with container technologies, such as Docker. Ideally with container orchestration such as Kubernetes or Docker Swarm
- with big data technologies, such as the Apache big data open source ecosystem
- Experience with Splunk software or a similar solution
- Experience with leading or contributing to open source projects
- Experience with working in a direct customer facing environment
What We Offer:
- A constant stream of new things to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of exceptionally hardworking and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment.
- We don't expect people to work 12-hour days. We want everyone to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and dedication, and believe that balance helps cultivate an extraordinary environment.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.