The Cloud organisation at Splunk focuses on building and maintaining robust and resilient platform solutions for SaaS hosting of Splunk's enterprise software. Our main technologies are AWS, Puppet and terraform. The SRE Operations team is globally distributed with teams based in San Francisco and Plano in the USA, Sydney in Australia, and London in the UK.
The UK SRE Ops team works closely with our Support and Software engineering teams so you'll have plenty of chances to interact with and learn from other teams across the business as well as your direct colleagues on the other SRE teams.
Please apply by submitting your CV and Cover Letter below!
**Please note: We can only consider candidates with existing eligibility to work in the UK**
What we’re looking for
Splunk's Cloud group is looking for a Site Reliability Engineering Intern to help maintain, contribute to and improve the next generation of our large scale Cloud offering. You will be working with large scale cloud providers and supporting the infrastructure that powers Splunk’s cloud offering.
You should apply if:
- You are interested in problems at scale You have some hands on experience with operating systems (particularly Linux) and networking. You might also have worked with Cloud technologies.
- You're passionate about solving hard problems. You probably enjoyed modules in Uni that deal with distributed systems, or that think about the way in which systems interact. You like following a problem all the way down to the root and constantly ask ‘why’ things work the way they do.
- You love large complex systems. You are interested in how to bring something from a small one off task to how to implement it across several thousand machines at once.
- You have some development skills. We have code in several languages, ranging from Go to Python to Shell. We don’t expect you to be a software engineer but you should be familiar with basic programming and understand concepts like input sanitisation and unit testing.
- You like infrastructure. You’re fundamentally interested in how computers operate. You’re interested in how memory is allocated, what exactly the CPU is doing and how, or what kind of storage performs best for a given task.
- You are returning to University upon completion of the internship
What we provide
- Opportunities to develop and grow as an engineer. We are always expanding into new areas, working with open-source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A team of incredibly capable and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering to product management and customer support.
- Breadth and depth. You are interested to work in an area that dynamically scales to meet the need of Splunk’s cloud offering. You want to go deep into optimizing how we automate every manual process and tedious task we encounter.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe that mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative, and supportive work environment. Honesty and collaboration are values we see as a core part of our team identity. We understand the value in open communication—working together to get things done, and to adapt to the changing needs of the team and individuals. This is reflected in both our internal communications and also in how we interact with our customers.
- Balance. We don't expect people to work 12 hour days. We want you to be successful outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and commitment, and believe that balance helps cultivate a positive environment.
- Fun. Work doesn't have to always be about working. We organize frequent team lunches and other optional team building events to help you get to know other members of the team in a more relaxed environment.