We have a disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone. Our engineers are passionate about our products and our customers demand more of it. At Splunk, we’re committed to our people, customers and having fun at work! Splunk is an industry leader in the “Data to Everything” platform and is well-positioned to extend the lead with our bold new vision.
You will be a senior member of the Product Security team, which is responsible for identifying security risks and ensuring mitigation across all Splunk products. We have an expanding portfolio of products and are simultaneously embarking on a journey to “Cloud First” delivery of all our services, so there is no shortage of critical security engineering work to do. As a Senior Product Security Engineer, you will work closely with development and operations teams to ensure security is built into every product we ship.
You will perform application security assessments including architecture review, threat modeling, code review, and general security consulting. This role will require you to assist and enable product teams to follow secure development practices, while also empowering them to own security within their product area. As a leader within Product Security, you will be responsible for driving a “Paved Road” approach to security, where teams are given all the resources they need to make good security decisions, and to ship software quickly and safely. The most valuable contributions you will make are those that address common security issues systematically, and at scale.
Ideally, you have a proven development background and can communicate with engineering teams with authority, credibility, and empathy. Product Security is complex and context-specific and, as such, will require you to learn constantly and be committed to continuous innovation, because what worked yesterday may not work tomorrow.
- Consult with development and operations teams to provide guidance and recommend secure design patterns
- Perform security assessments on new and existing products and services to identify security risks and establish baseline security requirements
- Establish and drive security standards across Splunk to improve security and resiliency of software and systems architecture
- Act as technical spokesperson for Product Security initiatives among senior engineers and architects
- Advocate for and lead complex security projects from inception through completion, working closely with engineering, product, and program management
- Present security risks to Product leadership in accessible terms and influence product strategy and direction
- Be a force multiplier by mentoring other members the Product Security team
- 6+ years of full-time security engineering or information security experience
- 4+ years of total experience in software development or systems engineering, ideally in an agile environment
- Proven experience performing security design reviews for complex applications, including distributed systems, APIs, and services deployed to cloud, on-premise, and hybrid environments
- Expert knowledge and implementation experience across information security disciplines, including web application, network, and operating systems security
- Fluency with the OWASP Top 10 and other common vulnerabilities and exploit techniques, and ability to define appropriate countermeasures
- Deep understanding of common application and network protocols, cryptographic technologies, and authentication and authorization protocols
- Direct experience supporting cloud operational models, including SaaS security architecture, microservices, containers, and Kubernetes
- BA/BS in computer science, a related discipline, or equivalent work experience
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Contributions to the security community: research papers, public CVEs, conference talks, open source, etc.
- Familiarity with “big data” and distributed systems technology
- Ability to drive efforts as a SME: thinking in whole systems, working within and between teams to have a positive security impact
- Knowledge of compliance requirements for industry-standard certifications like PCI DSS, SOC2, HIPAA, FedRAMP
- MS in computer science, Information Security, or a related discipline
- Open to remote.