Senior Principal Software Engineer (Application Management)
Location: UK (or Poland, Krakow or US)
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
As the Lead Architect of the App Management group you will be technically owning the teams responsible for the 3rd party application and extension management services that power the developer ecosystem around Splunk Platform. In this role you will be encouraged to dive deep technically to build a plan for the evolution of the partner and developer ecosystem to scale Splunk’s platform in the next decade, to set a high bar for architectural excellence while balancing the needs of the business, and most of all to build and grow other technical leaders under you.
In short, you will be the connector between the business strategy and the technical strategy, and have a direct impact on the success of Splunk in the coming decade.
This role requires a technically minded and outcome focused leader who can lead large teams of engineers effectively through being approachable, humble, and very technically deep.
Day to day life will involve:
- Conducting architectural reviews of designs affecting any part of App Management and other peer teams. The goal of these reviews is to simultaneously hold a high architectural bar while also providing a safe environment for critique and learning.
- Partnering with Product leads to match strategic product vision with engineering reality
- Crafting architectural designs with the clarity for the organization to see the destination, but with enough space for other engineers to help build the details.
- Partnering with engineering and technical leaders to ensure efficient execution of the teams.
- Mentoring of engineers within and outside your teams.
- Growing and establishing a senior technical leadership team across the organization.
The responsibilities of this role include:
- Deeply working with and understanding the Splunk architecture, both on-prem and in the Cloud.
- Deep understanding of the development experience for line engineers through to how the code is run in production.
- Understanding the business context in which we operate, and the current strengths and limitations of our system within that context.
- Building and driving a strategic technical plan for the future of the Application Management technology area, that aligns with and supports the wider company objectives and simultaneously reducing technical debt and increasing velocity of customer-facing features and changes.
- Partnering with Product and Engineering Leads to ensure the product, organization, and technology base is complementary and competitive in the market.
- Mentoring and guiding other engineers through one-to-one sessions, architectural reviews, tech talks, and book clubs.
- Working with people in all job descriptions, from engineering, to product, to professional services, to support, to UX, to QA, to the field to ensure that customer needs are met to the best of our abilities, and where they’re not met we design systems to help meet those needs.
These requirements are flexible depending on the background of the person, we're not expecting this person to have 100% of these.
Our estimate is that the skills, competencies, and experiences below will require an individual with at least 15-20 years of experience building large software systems. That said, years of experience is but a proxy to knowledge, abilities, and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Required: Expertise in how cloud infrastructure is constructed, deployed, and used across the industry.
- Required: Experience leading diverse teams across multiple locations
- Required: Strong software development experience, in a microservice / cloud-native environment.
- Preferred: Standard methodologies but also innovative ideas for delivering software to
Cloud environments (multi-cloud and hybrid experience a plus).
- Preferred: Experience leading large scale change (of approaches, technologies, or tooling) in codebases and organizations.
- Preferred: Experience operating a large scale system in live production environments.
- Preferred: Knowledge of industry standard cloud infrastructure components: Kubernetes, Istio, Pulsar, Kafka, Vault, etc.
- Preferred: microservices based development
- Preferred: Web protocols and distributed systems
- Helping people grow their skills and abilities to meet their career goals
- Building psychologically safe environments, where learning is encouraged and failure is not punished.
- Clear and direct communication
- Constant learning
- Experience technically leading teams of 30-50+ engineers
- Full time software development; senior role in operating a live production service or environment is a plus.
- Experience working within sophisticated projects with customers across an organization, building trust, and communicating such that there are few surprises.
- Experience diving deep technically into both on-premise and cloud software.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Base Pay Range
Base Pay: GBP 121,600.00 - 167,200.00 per year
Splunk provides flexibility and choice in the working arrangement for most roles, including remote and/or in-office roles. We have a market-based pay structure which varies by location. Please note that the base pay range is a guideline and for candidates who receive an offer, the base pay will vary based on factors such as work location as set out above, as well as the knowledge, skills and experience of the candidate. In addition to base pay, this role is eligible for incentive compensation and may be eligible for equity or long-term cash awards.
Benefits are an important part of Splunk's Total Rewards package. This role is eligible for a comprehensive, competitive benefits package which may include healthcare and retirement plans, paid time off, wellbeing expense reimbursement, and much more! Learn more about our comprehensive benefits and wellbeing offering at https://splunkbenefits.com.