The Cloud organization builds robust and resilient auto-scaling platform solutions for hosting Splunk's enterprise software. The teams are fast-paced, high-velocity, and use state-of-the-art technology. The focus is always on automation, solving complex challenges that span across multiple groups within Splunk, ensuring smooth and expedient services to Splunk users.
The Cloud Security, Access, and Compliance group’s mission is to continuously improve the security posture of Splunk’s cloud offerings and continuously ensure the compliance of Splunk’s cloud offerings. We are an engineering and operations organization that builds and maintains solutions to support that mission.
What we’re looking for
Splunk’s Cloud Security, Access, and Compliance group is looking for a Sr. Principal Security Engineer to lead and design solutions to continuously improve the security posture and assert the compliance of our next generation Cloud offerings.
You will be expected to understand Splunk’s product architecture and compliance requirements to provide guidance to new product efforts and enhance centralized governance systems.
You will make architectural decisions that will have cross-product impact to ensure consistent and sustainable security and compliance practices across our product suites.
What you provide
- Security first. You know what it takes to build and operate secure software. You understand defense in depth, risk exposure, and the mechanics behind common exploits. You take a big picture view of security and understand how to maximize your impact to overall security posture. You have deep technical knowledge of secure coding practices, secure infrastructure, and vulnerability mitigation tactics.
- Technical Leadership. You can drive an initiative from concept to full production deployment while maintaining security and operational excellence throughout the process. You are comfortable working across teams and organizations to meet your goals. You influence other engineers with your technical depth and collaborative attitude.
- Sustainable Compliance Strategy. You understand that being compliant is a result of strong security policy and practices. You’ve been through audits and understand the details of compliance frameworks such as SOC2, PCI, and FedRAMP. You prioritize sustainable strategies for compliance over annual fire drills.
- Knowledge of technical excellence. You know continuous delivery, testing, security practices, performance, and disaster recovery.
- Drive for automation. You constantly consider, "How can I automate this manual process?"
- Operational excellence. Data excites you and you make decisions based on numbers rather than assumptions. If an issue arises, you strive to be alerted before our customers notice.
- Cloud and container experience. Building and scaling secure services on different cloud providers is a plus. You understand how cloud technologies (e.g. aws) and container orchestration technologies (e.g. Kubernetes) impact the security and compliance of software systems.
- Unix/Linux expertise. You feel most comfortable working from your terminal emulator. You have deep knowledge of gnu & unix cli tools for system administration, operational automation, and network debugging.
- Desire to learn and adapt. Our team has a lot of projects going on at once, and you'll have the opportunity to learn to navigate the code and infrastructure. You'll constantly be learning new areas and new technologies.
- Passion. Our customers are passionate about Splunk and we want the same from our staff. We want you to actively own your work and be excited about your projects.
- Keeping calm and carrying on. Capable in navigating through a product outage, skilled in identifying performance bottlenecks, spotting anomalous system behavior, and figuring out the root cause of incidents.
What we provide
- Opportunities to develop and grow. We are always expanding into new areas, working with open-source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A team of incredibly capable and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering to product management and customer support.
- Breadth and depth. You are interested to work on an area that dynamically scales to meet the need of Splunk’s cloud offering. You want to go deep into optimizing how we automate every manual process and tedious task we encounter.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growth through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe that mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative, and supportive work environment. We work in an open environment, work together to get things done, and adapt to the changing needs for the team. We are a collaborative team that understands the value in open communication—it's how we interact with our customers.
Requirements: BS EE or CS degree; 15 + years related experience (or Masters and 12 + years related experience or PhD and 8+ years experience). Previous professional experience working in cloud environments and with ProdSec or SecOps.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.