Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Are you passionate about learning new technologies and understanding how they work? Are you interested in an opportunity to work with an upbeat team to help drive its products to a new level? In our journey to turn data into doing, We are looking for a seasoned, creative Sr. Engineering Manager, to help us focus on the scalability and performance of our products and build significant benchmarks that address customer use cases.
At Splunk, we see tremendous demand in dealing with heterogeneous data in utmost volume, i.e. petabytes per day, each and every release of our software is highly scrutinized to meet the demands of our customers. As a Sr. Engineering Manager, Product Performance, you'll have a key role in our products' success. You will collaborate with peers, field teams, customers to understand and encapsulate the use cases into industry standard benchmarks. You will work with product management and reach out directly to our customers to get direct exposure to the usage patterns we strive to satisfy. You will also help drive the direction of product to meet the ever increasing demand of data in security and IT observability market
- You will lead a team of extraordinary, highly motivated software engineers who are responsible to make Splunk products performant, scalable and reliable. You will be responsible for providing performance insights and identify optimization opportunities to product stakeholders, triage production performance bottlenecks, and identify and fix performance issues while working with all engineering teams.
- Work with various product teams design and develop state-of-art solutions to existing performance problems, and performance analysis tools to allow dev teams to gain further insight into production behavior. Our goal is to enable self serviceable PSR testing and analysis, so we can scale the business in leaps and bounds
- You will help cultivate the engineering culture of owning performance, so every engineer knows that their code is accurately tested in an autonomous fashion as they deploy to each environment.
- In order to successfully lead this team, you will need exceptional leadership skills, familiarity with performance tools, proficiency with agile development methodologies, and the ability to operate within short release cycles.
- Own end-to-end performance coverage, identify bottlenecks and work with the Engineering teams to address issues.
- Encourage a data-driven culture to improve the performance, efficiency and scalability of services and systems to help scale the company.
- Daily management of objectives, priorities, trade offs, risk as well as performance management of all staff reporting to you.
- Provide technical leadership, career development, and mentoring to team members.
- 10+ years performance engineering experience with a distinguished track record of driving performance across a large team
- 7+ years management experience with demonstrated ability to attract, develop and retain talent.
- Strong technical skills in Big Data Platform and distributed computing system, micro service, cloud native performance. Domain knowledge in cloud computing.
- Skilled in both the art and science of benchmark creation and measurement and modeling of system behavior under load
- Ability to find root cause of performance bottlenecks with profiling tools, pstack, qmlprofiler
- Passionate to optimize the performance bottlenecks and improve the product
- Experience in taking on problems of load, scale, and optimizations of sophisticated large-scale deployments
- Expert in scripting languages (Python) and compiled languages (C/C++)
- Ability to empower people, instill accountability and achieve results.
- Agile, proactive, comfortable working with ambiguous specifications and can prioritize on the fly.
- Experience with enterprise software capacity planning a big plus
- Masters/Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Equivalent Experience