Want to work in a dynamic environment with the latest cloud technologies? Want to learn Splunk from the inside and grow your career in exciting ways? Splunk Cloud is looking for self-starting individuals to be a part of the Splunk>Cloud Network Operations Center (CNOC).
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Splunk CNOC handles incidents that affect the availability and performance of Splunk>Cloud service for our customers. The Splunk CNOC is an always-on / always-active team making sure that each of our customers has an outstanding experience.
We’re looking for a Senior Incident Commander to join our team in supporting and supervising our ever-expanding Cloud platform.
- Take command of incidents using the Splunk Incident Management System (SIMS) to restore normal service operations as quickly as possible to minimize impact to Customer business operations
- Proactively respond to drops in microservice levels and facilitate a discussion aimed at building an incident action plan (and a backup if appropriate)
- Assemble the response team, which includes the incident owner, problem owner, and other professionals in the specified area of expertise and ensure they have an understanding of the issue, the action plan and the path to resolution.
- Establish accurate expectations (exit criteria) from response procedures to ensure customer satisfaction throughout the process
- Supervise, manage, and guide peers during incidents fully to ensure accurate information is captured
- Assemble and lead conference calls for diagnosis and remediation of customer impacting outages
- Craft clear and concise Problem Statements, Status Reports, and Final Summaries able to be easily understood by Engineers and Executives
- Coordinate Unified Command for Multi-Bridge and breakout-room Incidents
- Attend Customer Calls when needed
- Provide Incident Commander responsibilities, run post incident reviews, and assigns and follows through with action plans
- Keep vendors on track for deliverables to Splunk in 3rd-party incidents
- Write Customer-facing communications in partnership with Customer Success
- Develop positive, strong, and collaborative relationships with multiple cross-functional partners across Splunk to improve the team's efficiency and ability to deliver on sophisticated tasks that have broad impact
- Lead process improvements and improved operational efficiencies
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to understand the Microservices that make up Splunk>Cloud
- Able to remain calm and positive under pressure and demonstrates ability to provide clear actionable feedback to both peers, junior Incident Commanders and senior management
- Has a good understanding of Customer use cases and needs, and works with Product Management to influence products and services
- Operate as part of a 24x7 global team of incident commanders and ensure perfect handover of critical issues to other regions
- Ensure internal readiness at all times by leading training sessions, simulations and drills for all levels of team members.
- Understands Incident Management concepts and how to apply them to Highly controlled and/or secure environments (May require special clearance)
- You have 10+ years of major incident response and management experience
- Proven knowledge of incident management frameworks (eg. ITIL)
- Demonstrable understanding of distributed systems concepts
- You understand multi-functional teams and are able to speak and execute across organizations to drive influence
- Strong financial and business sense, critical thinking, decision-making abilities
- You enjoy problem solving and analyzing global-scale distributed systems
- You have outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- You enjoy teaching others and guiding in something you’re passionate about
- Don’t shy away from conflict, can influence at all levels and can work in stressful situations
- Executive presentation skills
- Work well in dynamic changing environments and is comfortable with ambiguity.
- Participate in on-call rotations for some business use cases