Product Manager – Getting Data In: Instrumentation and OpenTelemetry
Join us as we pursue our ground-breaking new vision to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun, and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
We are looking for a Product Manager to lead how customers get their metrics, traces, logs, and other telemetry into Splunk Observability Cloud. The process of getting data into Observability Cloud, and managing the agents, SDKs, and cloud connectors that enable this, is the most critical part of our customers’ onboarding and management experience and drives the capabilities that we offer within our products. This role will have high visibility with customers, partners, and Splunk senior management.
Much of our data capture capabilities rely on OpenTelemetry, an open-source project that we are one of the main drivers of. This position will require a highly technical candidate who understands application development, deployment systems and compute environments. It will also require a Product Manager who has the organizational and communication skills necessary to be a leader in a large open-source community.
You will work with the product, engineering, and design from across our suite to:
- Define a path for reducing setup and management friction for new and existing customers. Work across subject areas to produce a detailed plan, implement it, and deliver it to customers.
- Expand our support for cloud environments, compute services (Lambdas, pipelines, etc.), languages, web frameworks, storage clients, etc.
- Work with customers to understand how the data ingestion and configuration process could be improved. Set our priorities between easing setup, improved management capabilities, new capabilities, supporting more data sources, and architectural simplification.
- Represent Splunk in the OpenTelemetry community, lead our ongoing contributions, and work with our project partners to deliver value to Splunk customers and developers at large.
Instrumentation engineering team members are located in North Carolina, Estonia, and Poland, and the broader Splunk Observability team also has personnel in San Jose, Seattle, Boulder, Vancouver, and Atlanta. This role has a preference for applicants located in the Eastern time zone.
Key Responsibilities for Product Managers and Splunk
- Understand customer and user needs in-depth; communicate those needs crisply and succinctly within Splunk; and work with design and engineering teams to translate those needs into clear priorities, a compelling roadmap, and high-impact, innovative features
- Actively maintain a view of how the market, competition, and technologies are evolving, and factor it, as well as feedback from internal groups and customers, into the product direction
- Collaborate with product marketing, support, and the sales team to solve for business limiters within your control and pursue key business accelerants
Basic Qualifications for Product Managers and Splunk
- 2 +proven experience in product management, engineering or technical product management role
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize requirements across conflicting dimensions and to be clear on the minimum capabilities that matter
- Excellent analytical / problem-solving skills. Ability to identify patterns and synthesize disparate data into a coherent whole
- Strong written and verbal organizational, analytical, and communication skills. Ability to lead and influence via persuasion, patience, and energy
- Experience with developing software, understanding engineering tradeoffs, and an intuition for the needs of the developers and operators who use our products
- A passion for usability and a knack for simplicity
- Willing to go above and beyond to get quality products and features to market on time
Preferred Qualifications for Product Managers and Splunk
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- MBA from a top-tier program
- Background in enterprise SaaS; bonus if those were monitoring or analytics products
- Participation in all stages of the software development lifecycle, experience with Agile software methodologies
If you’d like to join one of the fastest-growing and most exciting tech companies in Silicon Valley, contact us! This position has the ability to make a huge impact. Your compensation will include a competitive salary, stock options, cool perks, and generous benefits.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.