Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most meaningfully to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey.
About the Role:
At Splunk, as a Principal Software Engineer In Test - Technique Lead, you will lead testing strategies/plans, and appropriate tools and technology for testing the Splunk platform. You will also be responsible for creating realistic large scale scenarios to big data analysis platform in Splunk labs, setting up Splunk deployments and data generation, and extending the current tools and framework to make testing more efficient. An effective technique lead in testing needs to be extremely well versed in Splunk, detail oriented, and understand really well on how our customers use our products. He/she is expected to collaborate with cross functional teams, like customer support, sustaining, product management, development and QA to design comprehensive tests and continuously improve our testing disciplines.
What we provide:
- Opportunities to develop and grow as an engineer. We are at the forefront of our industry, always expanding into new areas, and working with open source and new technologies.
- A set of hardworking and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering, test engineers to product management.
- Breadth and depth. You want to work on an area that spans backend and frontend and SDKs? We have that. You want to go deep into optimizing how we compress data for fast random-access retrieval? We have that too, and more.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment. We work in an open environment, have a shared kitchen and sit down for a quick sync every morning.
- Balance. We don't expect people to work 12 hour days. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and commitment, and believe that balance helps cultivate a positive environment.
- Perform testing of Splunk on diverse platforms (AWS EC2, VM, Docker, etc) with different Splunk deployments and configurations.
- Innovate, develop, automate, and document load and stress scenarios for features in a system to expose unknown limitations and defects in our products.
- Continually monitor and report on test quality efficiently and effectively providing visibility into test coverage.
- Ensure that key product features integrate well with each other and work harmoniously to provide customer value.
- Collaborate with Field, Product Managers, Engineers to gather product specifications and requirements to develop system test cases exercising customer use cases.
- Conduct trainings on usage of frameworks and tools.
- Participate in customer escalations remote and onsite when needed to help troubleshoot system defects and failures.
- Create, deploy, and use data driven metrics to analyze patterns in customer usage to improve test coverage and to explore new customer scenarios.
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience. 7+ years experience.
- Must have experience on testing distributed systems at scale and understand how to troubleshoot and diagnose and find root causes to system anomalies.
- Understanding of Systems Programming. Examples of areas you need to be knowledgeable in, include understanding of networking fundamentals and memory.
- Strong system administration skills in both Linux and Windows, deep knowledge and understanding of network and disk I/O and memory management is a plus.
- Desire to engage with customers and participate in validating patches and maintenance releases.
- Strong in one of programming languages, like JAVA, Python, C++, Go, etc. Python is preferred.
- Exposure to infrastructure provisioning/configuration tools like Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Docker, etc.
- Experience using static/dynamics code and application analysis tools such as Klockwork, Mathwork Polyspace, Parasoft C++(Desirable).
- Leader in constructive collaboration across different groups in our organization (Support, Sustaining, Product Management, etc…) to continually evolve and evolutionize our System Test strategy and mindset.
- Design, build and maintain test automation.Most of our features are deployed in enterprise and AWS Cloud. Developing automation and analyzing test results to ensure quality and recommend corrective action on both platforms is a must.
- Experience managing Splunk deployments is a plus.
- Experience with security and authentication protocols is a plus.
- Prior experience dealing with customers is a plus.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.