Principal Software Engineer, Engineering Productivity
San Francisco, CA or San Jose, CA
Splunk is seeking an individual who is passionate about helping to create world class software engineering teams. At Splunk we are dramatically improving engineering productivity by continuous improvement of our processes, tools and technologies to measurably increase engineering productivity and job satisfaction levels. You will need to be intimately familiar with large-scale software development and all aspects of the SDLC. You have demonstrated outstanding verbal and written communication and collaboration skills across project and functional teams. Collaboration, creativity, friendliness and perseverance are important traits required to succeed in this role. If you have a passion for creating world-class software engineering teams that measurably outperform previous benchmarks please contact us.
We make engineers more productive and engaged through training, tools, infrastructure and automation.
Area Of Focus:
- Actively engage in design and architectural reviews for infrastructure and tools that enhance engineering productivity and efficiency
- Engage with engineering leadings and individual contributors to identify and implement common areas of improvements for their teams.
- Build tools to help shorten developer cycle time.
- Build tools and infrastructure to automate manual tasks as part of the software development life cycle to increase velocity.
- Optimize to improve long term productivity by measuring and driving down wasted time to reduce frustration.
- Connect engineers to key information and to each other in order to discover useful shared projects and avoid duplicates.
- Onboard new hires and train existing engineers to be productive as quickly as possible to increase engagement.
- Write software, documentation and tests in order build tools to help engineering teams continue to improve productivity
- Analyze and measure engineering processes, systems and tools to support continuous improvement initiatives.
- Engage with all internal engineering teams to identify areas of improvement.
- Provide recommendations to monitor, measure and improve all aspects of the SDLC at Splunk.
- Drive improvements of tools used for continuous integration, automated testing and diagnostics, and release management.
- Identify issues, collaborate with stakeholders on solutions and provide follow-up on the implementation.
- Learn various products at Splunk in order to deeply understand our products in order to engage with all engineering teams.
- 10+ years of hands on software engineering experience
- Experience in helping multiple teams improve their productivity, velocity and code quality
- Demonstrated history of learning new technologies
- Extensive experience with CI/CD and infrastructure (Jenkins, GitLab or equivalent)
- Experience with Kubernetes or container orchestration technologies
- Experience with delivering SaaS products and hands on with either AWS, GCP or Azure
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for helping other people generally, and developers specifically
- Experience deploying, operating and debugging server software in distributed systems
- Experience with leading agile teams
We Offer You:
- Have used and managed Splunk products
- Have conducted new hire or technical training sessions
- Experience working on cross-functional teams (product management, customer success, legal, finance, marketing, etc.)
- Have created tools & automation for yourself and other engineers
- Written engineering documentation to help other engineers
- A constant stream of new things for you to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of exceptionally talented and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment.
- We don't expect people to work 12-hour days. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and dedication and believe that balance helps cultivate an extraordinary environment.