Have you built large scale APIs and want to solve more sophisticated problems requiring a lot more focus on security and performance? Have you supported and provided tech leadership to an engineering team, and want to expand into providing tech leadership to more than one team? Does solving hard CS problems such as exactly once delivery of data at scale excite you? If the answer to these questions is yes, we want to talk to you.
The Data Edge group at Splunk is looking for a Principal Engineer to join our efforts to define and build the future of Splunk. You will work on our Data Ingestion Platform to provide our customers seamless data onboarding and to enable ever deeper customer insights.
We build high throughput, reliable and secured products and services to collect and enrich data at a very large scale from cloud service providers, cloud native infrastructure e.g. Kubernetes and Kafka, networking and security products, and enterprise products from leading software engineering companies. Our work helps a vast majority of Fortune 1000 companies worldwide efficiently and effectively manage their data workflows. Some of our products get installed on tens of millions of machines. We care a lot about autonomy and work life balance by letting our employees manage their work schedules. We believe that it is critical for driving creativity and innovation.
As part of this group, you will provide architectural leadership to engineers on designing and building highly scalable APIs that deal with different application/system layers down to network and Kernel levels. In this role working with other partners, you will have opportunities to define and influence roadmaps, build prototypes, execute on project plans, and mentor a number of senior and junior engineers.
- Design and architect large scale APIs and multi-tenant services covering all aspects of collection and processing of system, application, network, and OS level events: API gateway, authentication, authorization, security, management, operability, health monitoring, instrumentation, etc.
- Self-starter to solve very sophisticated problems related to high throughputs, latency, and reliability.
- Assess the current architecture and work with the product leadership to lay out the architectural roadmap for scale, security, and maintainability.
- Design and implement the optimal test strategy for our services.
- Automate the diagnosis of performance and scalability issues.
- Enhance the tooling and generate code to make your own and other people's job easier.
- Mentor senior and junior engineers, and constantly raise the bar on engineering practices across the team and engineering organization.
Required Education and Experience:
- BS in Computer Science or Engineering or similar relevant work experience.
- 12+ years’ in software engineering.
- 7+ years’ experience building distributed systems at scale.
- 5+ years’ experience providing tech leadership to one or more teams.
- 5+ years’ experience in DevOps.
- Experience building large-scale APIs/Services
- Strong SaaS background
- Expert level knowledge of systems-level programming and distributed systems. You have deep knowledge of operating systems, networking and network protocols, data streaming, consensus, failure modes, and parallel programming.
- Demonstrated ability to design simple and clear APIs for sophisticated functionality and empathy for developers and customers, and expert skills in architecting APIs that allow other specialists to easily build beautiful code.
- Ability to help other engineers design systems, scope and decompose projects, manage technical debt and risk, promote good engineering practices, and mentoring them.
- Ability to work with multiple programming languages. We have code written in several programming languages: C++, Golang, Java, and Python.
- Streaming/analytics platforms e.g. Kafka, Flink, Pulsar.
- Cloud native deployment infrastructure e.g. Kubernetes
- Building the tooling for CI/CD and data pipelines.
- Working on open source projects.
We believe diverse teams embody our values and achieve the best results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which you are applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. This position would be based in San Francisco or San Jose, California.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $135,000. You may also be
eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits. Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).