Join us as we pursue our innovative vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, our customers, having fun and most meaningfully, to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
What we’re looking forWhat you provide
We are looking for a Principal Site Reliability Engineer to help lead, design and build the next generation of our large scale Cloud offering. You will be developing the internal platform and supporting the implementation of Splunk’s own Enterprise product within Splunk, used extensively within the company, and one of the largest scale systems of its size in the world.
- Familiarity with cloud environments. We operate in AWS, GCP, and more in future. You are familiar with at least one of these, and willing to learn the rest.
- Familiarity with SRE and devops tooling. You are familiar with terraform, puppet, and git, and have used them for managing production infrastructure.
- Familiarity with programming languages. You are comfortable with either Python or Go, and willing to learn the other. If you already know both, that’s great!
- Familiarity with observability systems and tools. You have experience with log management solutions like Splunk Enterprise or Elastic or similar. You also have experience with metrics management systems like Prometheus or SignalFX or similar. You don’t need to already know the Splunk products, but you must be willing to learn.
- Desire to learn and adapt. Our agile team has a lot of projects going on at once, and you'll have the opportunity to learn to navigate the code and features. You'll constantly be learning new areas and new technologies.
- Passion. Our customers are passionate about Splunk, and we want the same from our engineers. We want you to actively own your work and be excited about your projects.
- Drive for automation. You constantly consider, "How can I automate this manual process?" You will use Terraform to manage various cloud infrastructure resources. An understanding of Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC) and declarative configuration languages as preferred.
- Knowledge of technical excellence. You know continuous delivery, automated testing, security methodologies, system performance, and disaster recovery concepts.
- Operational excellence. Data excites you and you make decisions based on numbers rather than assumptions. If an issue arises, you strive to be alerted before our customers notice.
- Keeping calm and carrying on. Capable in navigating through a product outage, skilled in identifying performance bottlenecks, spotting anomalous system behavior, and figuring out the root cause of incidents.
- Linux proficiency. Excited to apply system administration experience and comfort in developing or creatively addressing challenges via a linux/unix console.
- Technical leadership experience. You have built relationships across teams to deliver business objectives. You have mentored junior engineers and presented to senior leadership. You have led business-critical technical initiatives.
- Experience. Twelve or more years of related technical work in industry.
Though not required, it is also awesome if you have built scalable secure services on cloud providers such as AWS, and have some Splunk expertise.
What we provide
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion at Splunk and are an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
- Opportunities to develop and grow as an engineer. We are always expanding into new areas, working with open-source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A team of incredibly capable and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering to product management and customer support.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe that mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative, and supportive work environment. We work in an open environment, work together to get things done, and adapt to the changing needs for the team.
- Balance. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and commitment, and believe that balance helps cultivate a positive environment.