Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun, and, most importantly, to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey.
About the Role:
Splunk is looking for a Principal/Senior Principal Software Engineer to join the Customer Managed Platform - Kubernetes team. The Kubernetes team is building an Open Source Operator to help customers easily Deploy and manage Splunk Enterprise clusters in their own Kubernetes Cloud & On-Premises infrastructure environments. The Operator also assists administrators to automate & upgrade to the latest Splunk Enterprise versions with minimal manual intervention, and hence allowing for quicker access to the latest features & improvements to Splunk Enterprise.
We give our engineers an environment in which they can contribute from day one while also providing learning and growth opportunities. While working on the Operator, you'll learn how the entire Splunk Enterprise stack works, including data ingestion & search in various Splunk supported architectures. The work you’ll do will directly impact the experience of managing Splunk Enterprise for our On-Premises customers.
We are an engineering and product-focused company. Our engineers take a leading role in designing, architecting, building, and testing our product. You will have the opportunity to work closely with Product & multi-functional teams as well as customers while crafting & improving features.
- Architecting, Designing & Building new features of Splunk Kubernetes Operator to support deployment, upgrade & maintenance of Splunk Enterprise product in Customer managed Public cloud & On-Premise Platforms.
- You will write & enhance the production quality Splunk Operator code that will make use of the various Custom Resource definitions to orchestrate the deployment of stable Splunk Enterprise Architecture at scale.
- You will analyze, identify and optimize any performance bottleneck of Operator deployed environments.
- You will work with customers and help solve problems that occur in the field, including complex mission-critical live environments.
- Collaborate with various multi-functional teams to deliver quality products.
- You have a BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related engineering discipline or equivalent practical work experience
- You have 12+ years of professional software engineering and architecture experience.
- You are an Expert with hands-on knowledge in Kubernetes technologies. CKA/CKAD Certifications will be a plus
- You have experience developing/contributing to Kubernetes Operators
- You have experience with Containerized Orchestration frameworks, including migrating non-containerized applications into a production container orchestration environment using technologies such as Docker
- You have DevOps & automation experience using tools such as Ansible.
- You have knowledge and experience with Cloud Service Providers such as AWS. GCP and/or Azure.
- You have expert knowledge of developing and debugging in Golang and/or C++
- You have Experience working with Splunk Enterprise in a distributed environment
- You have a good foundation in operating systems fundamentals, such as storage, filesystem, memory, etc.
- You have knowledge of modern distributed system design and implementation.
What We Offer You:
- A constant stream of new things to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of especially hardworking and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- Breadth and depth. You want to work in an area that spans backend and frontend and SDKs? We have that. You want to go deep into optimizing how we compress data for fast random-access retrieval? We have that too, and more.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative, and supportive work environment. We work in an open environment, have a shared kitchen, and sit down for a quick sync every morning.
- We don't expect people to work 12 hour days. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible for their time and commitment and believe that balance helps cultivate a phenomenal environment.
- We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.