Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and celebrating each other’s success.
Are you excited about data? Join us in developing sophisticated platform services, frameworks and tooling that allows customers and developers to collect massive amounts of data from a multitude of devices, operating systems, logs, metrics and more in a scalable and reliable way.
Splunk's Data Stream Processor team (DSP) is seeking an exceptional Principal Engineer to join our team to design and develop the sophisticated products to collect, transform and enrich data in a fast, scalable and reliable way both for Cloud and On-premise customers.
What you'll do
- You are passionate about building, observing and operating distributed systems at scale in production.
- You understand the challenges and trade-offs to be made when building and deploying new systems to production.
- Solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in operating systems, networks, data structures, algorithms, distributed systems and software design
- Excellent problem solving, collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written
- A demonstrated capability for creative thinking, intellectual and entrepreneurial exploration
- Experience developing, debugging, and performance tuning highly concurrent systems
- Solid knowledge and production programming experience in at least one of Java/C++/Go
- Mastery of developing and working with thoughtfully designed HTTP APIs, such as REST or GraphQL
- Mastery of test driven development, developing different levels of automated tests, such as unit test, functional test, integration test, system test, or performance / load test
- Expert in at least one of the cloud technologies, such as AWS, Azure, or GCP
- Experience in container technologies, such as Docker. Ideally with container orchestration such as Kubernetes or Docker Swarm
- 12+ years of industry experience with a proven track record of ownership and delivery
- 3+ years experience in stream processing platform, such as Flink, Storm or equivalent
- 3+ years experience in messaging system, such as Apache Kafka or equivalent
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related engineering discipline
What we offer you:
- A constant stream of new things to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of exceptionally hardworking and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- Breadth and depth. You want to work in an area that spans backend and frontend and SDKs? We have that.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment. We are a distributed team with opportunities for remote work. Our offices have an open environment, and have a shared kitchen.
- We target a 40 hour work week and respect work/life balance. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Would you like to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and dedication, and believe that balance helps cultivate a great environment.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.