Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Our Observability Strategist team is a global-level group within the Field Solutions and Strategists at Splunk, and we provide expert assistance to our field teams in the subject areas of DevOps and Observability. We operate daily in five directions: field team enablement, evangelizing Splunk’s observability message to the world, direct customer interaction, supporting our observability partner ecosystem, and constant improvement of Splunk’s observability offerings. We also drive the creation and improvement of field solutions for observability that may eventually become official product offerings. Each individual on our team contributes to these areas. In this role, you will work cross-functionally, supporting sales, sales engineering, customer success, partners, Observability marketing, and Observability product management, among others.
This role can be located anywhere in the continental US, Canada OR European Region, but proximity to a major airport is required. At least 40% travel should be expected once it is safe to do so. This role primarily focuses on our customers and field teams, but some global interaction is normal.
This is a team that is in regular motion. You might, on any given day:
- Provide expert industry knowledge in a meeting with customer execs.
- Help a technical sales resource execute a particularly complicated evaluation, with your hands on the keyboard.
- Build an externally facing presentation to convey the power of Splunk’s IT and Observability solutions.
- Host an internal webinar to up-level our customer-facing teams on observability or broader DevOps topics.
- Present at an external DevOps conference on a Splunk-relevant topic.
- Contribute a blog post to our external blog site detailing a recent engagement, integration, or standard methodology.
- Run a technical workshop with customers to evaluate their readiness for Observability, DevOps maturity, or efficiency in using our products.
- Strategize with account teams on how to best position Splunk Observability products to achieve customer success.
- Write code to onboard a particularly exciting data source, or to build a new integration.
- Assist our field with APM auto-instrumentation or custom code tagging using OpenTelemetry agent/collector.
- Help craft the direction of Splunk’s observability business through decisions about organic product roadmap or inorganic acquisition.
- File enhancement or bug reports about issues you have found in our products.
These are just a few examples – but representative of our typical cadence! A flexible and creative approach is absolutely required in this position – you will be given mentorship and support, but not necessarily be told exactly what to do, and how to do it.
Experience in the DevOps, Application Development, APM, or IT Monitoring industry, preferably as a practitioner, but a track record of success with APM, DevOps or observability-focused vendors is acceptable.
- Up-to-date understanding of current trends in the Observability and DevOps landscape.
- Coding experience (modern cloud-era frameworks preferred) and examples of code you can provide or descriptions of what you’ve written and what problem it solved.
- Experience with modern SDLC methodologies (version control using git, CI/CD pipelines and tools, standard application testing methodologies)
- Experience with containerization, Kubernetes, and service mesh.
- Experience with IaC tools like Terraform, Ansible, SaltStack, or Puppet.
- Strong understanding of distributed tracing and ideally OpenTracing/OpenTelemetry.
- Familiarity with cloud and cloud-native serverless architectures.
- Ability to communicate concisely and accurately with no fear of public speaking to audiences large and small.
- Ability to work remotely and across multiple time zones with a minimum of daily supervision.
- Familiarity with competing technologies in the marketplace.
- Ability to travel an average of 40% within the US and Canada.
- 5 years of high tech, SaaS, customer-facing experience. Technical pre-sales experience is strongly preferred, but this can be in other roles like professional services, product management, or similar.
- Experience in driving sophisticated sales cycles up and down a customer org chart.
- AWS and/or GCP Associate/Professional certification or equivalent experience.
- Portfolio of public-facing materials: whitepapers, blogs, presentations, training that you have authored.
- Bachelor’s degree in something related to technology, Masters or equivalent a plus.
- Experience as an observability practitioner with a large scale cloud native company a big plus.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.