Legal Counsel – Central, EMEA (m/f/d)
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our products and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
We are looking for a motivated commercial legal counsel who can contribute to Splunk's vision by supporting Splunk’s sales growth in EMEA. The role will require legal expertise in cloud technology transactions across a variety of industries and markets, with a bonus for public sector.
Your responsibilities will focus primarily on our sales and operations in the EMEA Central sales theater. We will value your experience with GDPR and data protection law and the legal and business considerations that come with selling cloud to the enterprise. You will support sales, customer success, and partner teams with a focus on drafting and negotiating sales agreements, contribute to process improvements, initiatives and playbooks to help scale for growth and improve contracting process. You will partner with legal team members and other business functions to drive business objectives.
Ideally located in one of Splunk’s key EMEA business hubs. Germany preferred.
To succeed, the role requires you to have an analytical mind and business minded approach to legal issues. You need to possess excellent business judgment and critical thinking; have the ability to perform independently as well as cross-functionally and demonstrate flexibly in a collaborative, dynamic team environment; know how to prioritize and drive multiple initiatives to conclusion independently and in a timely manner; possess strong persuasion, negotiation and collaboration skills and excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills; be self-motivated, self-reliant, and confident; and have a good sense of humor and the ability to adapt to a dynamic and exciting environment.
- Lead complex commercial transactions, with a focus on enterprise cloud and technology sales in Splunk’s EMEA Central theater;
- Support Splunk’s other sales theaters as needed;
- Build strong internal and external relationships while balancing the needs in Splunk’s EMEA field theater with Splunk’s global strategy and priorities;
- Provide deep knowledge of relevant laws concerning commercial terms, including data protection/governance, cybersecurity and government contracts;
- Draft and negotiate outbound software licenses, sales channel and strategic alliance sales, system integrator and OEM contracts;
- Anticipate changes to, and advise on, relevant laws impacting Splunk’s commercial activities and its customers;
- Help improve standard templates, playbooks, and legal processes;
- Effectively advise, educate and train on and assist in the enforcement of Splunk’s corporate policies and compliance programs;
- Implement initiatives that advance Splunk’s business including Splunk’s priorities and initiatives; and
- Perform other legal responsibilities as requested.
- Law degree with excellent academic credentials;
- At least 5 years’ experience in SaaS, cloud computing, and enterprise software;
- In-house experience strongly desired and previous experience in the legal department of a US listed company preferred;
- Substantive transaction experience with complex contract and/or licensing agreements, working with two-tier sales partners and experience working in fast-paced technology companies are required;
- Experience with public tenders and contracts;
- Extensive experience in compliance, GDPR, data security, and intellectual property matters, and strong knowledges of local data protection laws required and knowledge of data protection laws of other countries, preferred;
- Experience in negotiating managed service provider agreements; and
- Excellent command of German and English (oral and written).
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.