Are you passionate about building scalable search systems for distributed and heterogeneous environments? Do you have a strong desire to build excellent search experiences for customers by providing personalized and recommended content? Ready to shake things up? Splunk continues to be on a tear while enjoying incredible growth year over year. With growth comes scaling opportunities and the need to take the friction out of our processes, platforms, and systems to drive scale, efficiency, and effectiveness.
As a lead engineer, you would be driving the technical delivery for the web application team, within the IT Business Applications group. You will need to use your technical expertise and broad experience delivering features using Agile methodologies, specifically Scrum, to lead the team for this position.
What you'll do: Yeah, I want to and can do that:
- Build and maintain search functionalities to help users find relevant search results.
- Develop, configure and optimize the query pipelines and associated algorithms for better search results and its ranking.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. And come up with good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for acquiring scalable solutions.
- Collaborate with DevOps team for CI/CD and K8 clusters for the application deployments.
- Hold yourself accountable for the committed tasks (end-to-end) that require close collaboration with internal tech leads, product managers, and external team members.
- Communicate with others clearly and precisely (verbally and written) within the Scrum framework to meet the sprint objectives.
Requirements: I’ve already done that or have that!
- 8+ years of software development experience in distributed cloud native applications.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with configuring, scaling and troubleshooting search infrastructure (Lucidworks Fusion and/or open source search engines like Solr Lucene or Elasticsearch).
- 2+ years of working experience of query and expansion (synonyms, spell correction, query rewriting etc.)
- 2+ years of working experience of Solr REST APIs for querying and indexing.
- Good knowledge of search results algorithms for promotion, faceted searches, boosting query, and filter queries.
- Good knowledge of computer science fundamentals e.g. data structures, algorithms, and design patterns.
- Willingness to be on a constant learning journey and continuously go above and beyond the comfort zone.
Preferred knowledge and experience: These are a huge plus:
- Experience with Apache Spark.
- Good understanding of agile development and continuous integration.
- Experience in collaborating with remote team members.
Education: Got it!
- BS or MS in Computer Science/Information Systems/Business or equivalent experience required.
What We Offer You: Wow, I want that.
- A constant stream of new things for you to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of extraordinarily hardworking, innovative, open, fun and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment.
We don't expect people to work 12 hours a day. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and dedication and believe that balance helps cultivate an extraordinary environment
This isn’t a job – it’s a life changer – are you ready?
Splunk has been named one of San Francisco Bay Area’s “Best Places to Work” by the San Francisco Business Times, ten years in a row. We offer a highly competitive compensation package and a plethora of benefits.
Splunk is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.