Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Are you passionate about building scalable web applications in a microservice paradigm? Do you have a strong desire to build great experiences for customers? Ready to shake things up? Splunk continues to be on a tear while enjoying incredible growth year over year. With growth comes scaling opportunities and the need to take the friction out of our processes, platforms, and systems to drive scale, efficiency, and effectiveness.
As a Lead Engineer, you would be leading the technical delivery for the web application team, within the IT Business Applications group. You will play a key role in our web development initiatives that empower our business to ship Splunk products to our customers through a series of self-service capabilities. You will need to use your technical expertise and broad experience delivering features using Agile methodologies, specifically Scrum, to lead the team for this position.
This position requires you to be a self-starter with the ability to take ownership, work with tight timelines, handle various tasks simultaneously while continuing to develop a positive work culture. In addition, great oral communication and written documentation skills are critical for this role.
- Provide advanced technical competency to guide the team in its delivery.
- Deliver high quality, well-written code that is quickly understood, easily supported and maintained by the team using best practices.
- Independently research and design technical solutions to solve business problems. And further document those solutions for the team explaining the architecture and functionalities.
- Lead the team of developers comprising onsite and offsite members to ensure the development standards are being met and project work is progressing to meet project timelines.
- Collaborate with internal product managers, architects, engineering managers, UX/UI designers, and business partners.
- Communicate and collaborate with team members clearly and precisely, verbally and written within the Scrum framework to meet sprint planning objectives.
- Communicate with cross-functional teams, help answer customer support queries, and respond to on-call application incidents.
- Mentor team members and peers that are less experienced or less knowledgeable to increase their skills or knowledge, and ultimately their effectiveness on the team.
- Work within a Scrum delivery framework and assume the Scrum Master role.
- Present and communicate complex ideas and features to a broad audience effectively.
- Independently perform interviews to provide hiring recommendations based on technical competency and team effectiveness.
- 8+ years of experience in developing scalable and event-driven (syn/async) web applications in a highly distributed environment.
- 3+ years of functional experience in crafting and building full stack applications in Node.js (REST APIs) with React, Redux based UI.
- Good knowledge of computer science fundamentals e.g. data structures, algorithms, and design patterns.
- Excellent knowledge and working experience with pub/sub messaging systems.
- Unit-testing - must have working experience in TDD or BDD.
- Demonstrated knowledge of databases, networking, security, privacy, and compliance for Web-based applications.
- Demonstrated experience of handling cross-browser compatibility issues and front-end performance considerations.
- Experience using Git, JIRA, Docker, and Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed.
- Excellent verbal and written user documentation skills.
- Fun loving with strong interpersonal skills.
- Travel up to 20% between Splunk San Francisco and San Jose offices to meet with key business partners.
- BS or MS in Computer Science/Information Systems/Business or equivalent experience required
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.