The Cloud organization builds robust and resilient auto-scaling platform solutions for hosting Splunk's next-generation software and services. The teams are fast-paced, high-velocity, and use state-of-the-art technology. The focus is always on automation, solving sophisticated challenges that span across multiple groups within Splunk, ensuring smooth and expedient services to Splunk users.
We have a substantial AWS, GCP, and Kubernetes presence of large-scale containerized systems. This is an incredible opportunity to use your existing leadership and cloud experience to drive the growth of the Splunk Cloud.
What we’re looking for
The Cloud Automation group is looking for an Engineering Manager (EM) to help lead, build and coach the configuration management and orchestration services team in designing and building resilient tools and services that empower other Splunk Engineering Team to own and be accountable for things that are put in production. This EM will be tasked with building an efficient, productive, and fun team. You will be a leader with an eagerness to create and own processes for enhancing team health, streamlining hiring processes, and finding industrious solutions to organizational impediments while working on the core compute platforms and infrastructure in the next generation of Splunk’s cloud offering.
What you provide
- Foster growth. You will meet with team members on a regular basis, help plan and support career development, and recruit top-tier developers.
- Passion. You are passionate about motivating your team, fostering collaboration, and embodying excitement about the projects.
- Drive for Automation. You constantly consider, "How can I automate this manual process?" and inspire teams to embrace this philosophy.
- Knowledge of technical excellence and reliable standards related to security, performance, and disaster recovery.
- Configuration management experience. You have experience in leading, building, and scaling secure configuration management services like Puppet, Chef, Ansible or Salt Stack on different cloud providers.
- Operational excellence. You strive for collecting robust metrics, data, and monitoring information from our services, ensuring that if an issue arises, the team is alerted before our customers notice.
- Keeping calm and carrying on. You coach teams on appropriately handling a product outage, skills in identifying performance bottlenecks, spotting anomalous system behavior, and determining the root cause of incidents.
What we provide
- Opportunities to develop and grow as a leader. We are always expanding into new areas, working with open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A team of exceptionally skilled and dedicated peers and direct reports, all the way from engineering to product management and customer support.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership, autonomy, and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative, and supportive work environment. The teams work in an open environment, work together to get things done, and adapt to the changing needs for the team. We keep it real by being open and honest. We are a collaborative team that understands the value in open communication-its how we interact with our customers.
- Balance. People are not expected to work 12-hour days. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. Our colleagues are trusted to be responsible with their time and commitment, and believe that balance helps cultivate a positive environment.
- Fun. Group-outings and team building events are frequent in our group. We are committed to having every employee want to give it there all, be respectful and a part of this family, and have a smile on their face while doing it.
Requirements: 10+ years of software or systems engineering experience, 2+ years of experience in managing software engineers, expertise working in a CI/CD environment, and experience in working within cloud platform environments.
Nice to have: working with AWS, GCP, and Kubernetes
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.