Splunk is on a mission to remove the barriers between data and action so that everyone thrives in the data age. We continue to be on a tear while enjoying incredible growth year over year. With growth comes scaling opportunities and the need to take the friction out of our processes, platforms, and systems to drive scale, efficiency, and effectiveness.
The Director of Product & Service Design is a leadership role within the IT Engineering group that will define the vision, strategy, and manage the day-to-day delivery of the user experience and user interface design for products and services that are used by both customers and employees. This position will lead a small but growing team of full-time and contingent designers to shape the experience for our growing IT portfolio. This role will require deep expertise with design thinking and agile methodologies coupled with service design. This position requires the ability to seamlessly collaborate and build consensus with various leaders and senior individuals across the company to understand various internal design practices and policies.
You will need to be a self-starter that can take ownership, prioritize, and handle various tasks simultaneously while maintaining a positive demeanor. In addition, strong verbal communication and written documentation skills are a must for this role for promoting ideas throughout the business to both technical and non-technical partners.
- Define the design vision and strategy support business objectives for a growing product and service portfolio that touches both customers and employees
- Define, champion, and incorporate service design principles across IT to improve the experiences of external and internal users by designing, aligning, and optimizing the organization’s operations to better support the user journey
- Establish a Center of Excellence (CoE) for product and service design standards and best practices for the IT department
- Champion design thinking methodologies and processes to motivate change for IT products and services
- Define and maintain the creative process and extensive design systems
- Lead and mentor a small team of accomplished designers (full-time and contractors) to enable high performance and to remove obstacles that impede their objectives
- Manage budgeting for the department and vendor selection process for creative assistance
- Supervise leading-edge concepts through execution of product design work, by taking new products and features from ideation, to prototyping, to user testing, to production
- Establish relationships and collaborate cross-functionally with senior leaders, product managers, engineers, and other design team members to review, align, and manage design deliverables
- Influence design direction and decisions across a diverse set of business partners at all levels of the organization from executives to senior individual contributors
- Supervise and perform direct user research, user personas, usability testing, and user scenarios across multiple products
- Provide user interface, visual design, and user interaction direction for both external and internal-facing products
- Attract, retain, develop, and manage designers to reach their career objectives while meeting organizational objectives
- 10+ years of web and mobile product UX and UI design, as well as service design, in a corporate environment
- 7+ years of people management experience with creative design teams
- Demonstrated experience with product design practices, design strategies, service design, UX/UI design, and accessibility standards
- Demonstrable track record in leading critical thinking across a product space, developing product design goals, and making decisions based on the impact to users and the company needs
- Track record of defining and championing how an experience should behave based on understanding our users' needs.
- BS or MS in visual design or equivalent experience required
This isn’t a job – it’s a life changer! Are you ready?
Splunk has been named one of San Francisco Bay Area’s “Best Places to Work” by the San Francisco Business Times, ten years in a row! We offer a highly competitive compensation package and a plethora of benefits.
Splunk is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $165,000. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).