Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most meaningfully to each other’s success.
Splunk has an immediate opportunity for a Director of Software Engineering in Test, focusing on Large-Scale System Testing and Tools. You will lead a dynamic team of SDETs with the responsibility to ensure that we deliver high quality solutions to meet the business needs of Splunk customers. As the leader of this team you will be responsible for the overall quality, communication, teamwork and people management of our System Test Engineering teams. Working experience in the native cloud software delivery environment is a big plus
- Developing and implementing the long-term strategy for improving the quality of our products.
- Analyzing quality data, identifying areas of improvement and implementing solutions.
- Leading the day-to-day activities of the System Test teams in an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Working closely with software development leaders, product managers, business partners, and customer success organization to industry leading applications.
- Hiring, retaining and motivating a team of hardworking, critical thinking, and productive people
- Driving continuous innovation, making decisions based off data, collaborating with partners, peers and team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline.
- 12+ years of relevant software engineering design and testing experience.
- 8+ years senior people management experience leading, recruiting, and retaining premier software engineers within the area of test who have diverse experience in C++/Systems programming/Python, and system level testing of complex and large-scaled environments.
- Be the senior technical leader and systems-level voice across Splunk Engineering and Executive teams; acting as a strong partner and influencer to ensure the best technologies and products are developed and taken to market.
- Good understanding of all aspects of quality assurance, customer advocacy, automation tools, software development in a large-scale enterprise environment.
- Experience with continuous integration, test pipelines, and automation.
- Actively collaborate across various organizations and lead the team in evaluating future releases for stability, reliability, and scalability
- Demonstrated ability to attract, retain, lead, and develop a high-performing global teams
- Experience developing and using automation frameworks for regression/system level testing in Windows and Linux environments.
- Experience developing system level testing for complex environments to focus on stress, scalability, destructive testing, customer scenarios, and system integration
- Consistent history of successfully delivering large, complex, and elite enterprise solutions to the customer base.
- Experience working with Support and escalation organization during critical escalations and feeding back (RCCA) learnings to test organizations
- Experience with leading the everyday activities of a global engineering team using Agile/Scrum processes.
- High level of energy, ability to lead and gain respect among peers, team and other business partners; be viewed as a trustworthy motivator and leader with vision in the organization.
- Entrepreneurial, metrics minded, strategic thinker who can move and act at operational and tactical levels when required.
- Experience delivering complex, enterprise class high volume transactional system with high quality.
- Experience in enterprise software, including issues with threading, network and disk IO, data transformations, data integrity, systems management, systems administration, monitoring
- Extraordinary organizational, priority settings, and planning skills, written/verbal presentation, and the ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences in large and small groups.
- Skills and personality to operate effectively in a fast-paced complex business
- Strong leadership, adroit influencer, management communication, and presentation skills with experience maintaining relationships with internal business customers at an executive level.
- Extraordinary engineering vision and customer advocacy orientation; a track record of anticipating technical challenges, understanding and identifying development solutions, with the operational foresight to achieve and launch scalable platforms.
- Well versed in Big Data technologies: Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Kafka.
- Hands on experience with Machine Learning
- Experience in SaaS, petabyte+ scale data, reporting and/or analytics are all a major plus.
- Proficiency in both Unix and Windows platforms, including scripting on respective platforms
Ways To Stand Out From The Crowd
- A competitor and winner; good listener and uncommon ideation partner.
- Deliberative, fast thinker and strong leader with excellent soft skills
- Inspire confidence
- An individual of personal and business integrity who will be credible and trustworthy, both within the company as well as with external relations.
- Intuitive, strategic, and a conceptual global thinker with strong attention to data and detail
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.