Director, Legal Counsel (Compliance, Employment and Risk) Asia Pacific & Japan
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
We welcome you to join Splunk’s legal team and have the opportunity to make an immediate contribution to the company’s continuing growth and success! This attorney will be a member of our Compliance, Employment and Risk team with primary support of the Asia Pacific and Japan region (APAC) with a focus on scaling Splunk’s compliance, employment and dispute/litigation capabilities and functions, ensuring world class programs. This attorney will also support Splunk’s Corporate Legal function in APAC.
In this role, you’ll be closely involved with cutting edge legal issues and your scope of responsibility will be broad– you’ll conduct and advise on international investigations, oversee disputes and litigations, create and improve policies and processes, advise on labor and employment issues across APAC and coordinate and advise on various corporate matters. We are seeking a motivated, hard-working, team player to help drive key projects and closely partner with colleagues in Legal, Human Resources, Finance and the business across Splunk. The successful candidate will have an amazing opportunity to develop professionally and grow Splunk in the region. This attorney will report to Splunk’s Vice President and Chief Ethics & Compliance Office, in San Francisco.
Highly collaborative with a strong desire to make a meaningful impact. Flexible, creative, and self-motivated—shows initiative, perseverance, resourcefulness, a strong work ethic and maintains a good sense of humor. Demonstrated business sense and legal judgment, with the ability to be both strategic and detail oriented. Ability to solve problems creatively and successfully. The successful candidate will possess excellent speaking, writing, problem solving and analytical skills; strong organizational and project management skills; an ability to work proactively in an entrepreneurial, extremely fast moving and high growth environment; a desire to be invigorated by a collaborative, innovative and decisive culture; a high degree of accountability, professional motivation and drive; and ease in developing relationships of trust and confidence both within and outside Splunk.
Compliance and Disputes
- Part of Splunk’s global Compliance team, providing support and leadership on various global and regional compliance programs and initiatives.
- Assist with and lead investigations of potential violations of Splunk’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, corporate policies, and programs.
- Coordinate, support and lead litigation and resolution of other disputes arising in APAC.
- Coordinate support and lead conflict of interest reviews and various other compliance processes.
- Coordinate support and lead global training initiatives, including content development and delivery across APAC, as well as effective tracking of those trainings.
- Partner with business colleagues across the organization to understand objectives and develop compliance programs to support.
- Assist with partner due diligence, working closely with the Compliance Manager.
- Assist with trade sanctions research and follow up.
- Work closely with Global Competition Counsel on development and implementation of the competition compliance program in APAC.
- Engage with IT, the Compliance team and others on various data governance projects.
- Support various compliance program initiatives.
- Be the first point of contact for compliance-related questions arising in APAC.
- Provide day-to-day proactive employment law advice, assistance and counseling throughout APAC.
- Build and nurture strong internal and external relationships.
- Assist with successful management of the employee lifecycle – from hiring, performance management, employee relations issues, grievances and terminations.
- Lead and provide guidance on investigations.
- Drive Splunk’s compliance with local employee regulations, pay equity analyses, and other legal requirements.
- Assist with creating and continuously improving Splunk’s global employment library, including APAC employment agreements, PIAAs, termination agreements and related documents.
- Assist in developing and continuously improving international employee handbooks in APAC.
- Work with Splunk’s Facilities team to ensure compliance with health and safety requirements.
- Provide legal guidance and support regarding Splunk’s global compensation and benefits programs.
- Recommend, implement and continuously improve legal training.
- Work collaboratively and responsively with a broad range of colleagues in the U.S. and APAC, ensuring strong relationships between Legal, Human Resources, Finance, Stock Administration, IT, Operations and Corporate Development to facilitate a coordinated team approach.
- Supervise outside legal counsel across APAC.
- Coordinate with the Corporate Legal team on subsidiary governance matters as needed.
- Engage with the Corporate Legal, Finance and Tax teams on various tax planning issues.
- Coordinate with the Corporate Legal and Finance teams on 606 accounting issues and related matters.
- Assist with M&A work.
- Assist with Splunk’s global employee data privacy program.
- Assist with APAC-wide incident response if/as needed.
- Coordinate and assist other teams within Legal (i.e. operations, privacy, corporate, etc.) as needed.
- Pitch-in on whatever legal work needs doing, whenever it needs to be done.
- Minimum of eight years of experience (though more is welcome!) focused on compliance issues, investigations and employment law issues in APAC, ideally within an enterprise, MNC.
- Possess drive, skills and ability to balance acting autonomously and collaboratively in a highly dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Be comfortable in a very fast paced environment, handling multiple projects, issues and transactions in parallel.
- Law firm practice experience in APAC office of a global law firm is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience working in-house or with fast paced technology driven companies is desired.
- Available and willing to travel internationally. Fluency in languages in addition to English desirable.
The successful candidate will have top academic credentials and will be a qualified attorney, with current bar admission or equivalent.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.