Join us as we pursue our innovative new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
The Splunk Detection Engineer reports to the Senior Manager of Detection Engineering. In this role, you will be responsible for developing security content supporting the 24x7 monitoring operations and response to cybersecurity threats. You will have a deep understanding of Information Security principles and disciplines coupled with expert level knowledge of Splunk Processing Language (SPL), excellent development skills, and a continuous desire to learn and grow. We are a passionate team who has fun, enjoys a good laugh but above all else thinks security first.
- You will use your deep Splunk expertise in building detection use cases from scratch to identify cybersecurity threats
- Draw from your industry expertise in understanding how an attacker would behave and translate it to custom security detection content
- Engage with other teams to ensure detections are working as intended
- Identify and prioritize new data sources and their applicability to the detection of sophisticated adversaries
- Lead efforts to ensure data sources are aligned with Splunk’s Common Information Model (CIM)
- Drive complex initiatives with key business partners to continuously improve visibility
- Map security content to leading adversarial and defense technique ontologies (e.g. MITRE ATT&CK, D3FEND) and common control frameworks
- Understand & manage development backlog to ensure a steady stream of activities
- Conduct sprint reviews and celebration of successes for all items in the workstream.
- Collaborate across teams for training, development opportunities, and service improvement
- Provide mentorship for willing and able candidates looking to dive into security content development
- Capture development metrics in direct-support to executive-level briefings (daily, weekly, monthly)
- Ensure that all documents, workflows and processes remain accurate and up-to-date
- You have experience as a SOC Analyst, Security Content Developer and/or Security Engineer
- Advanced Splunk Enterprise Security experience
- Deep understanding of Splunk Data Models
- Ability to build and interpret SPL fluidly
- Coding proficiency in Python or equivalent language
- Knowledge of version control systems and automation capabilities within them, Gitlab, Bitbucket, Github, etc
- Ability to understand systems quickly, and translate understanding into logic to detect anomalies with the system
- You can lead people to think critically by guiding them without doing the work for them
- You have a passion for learning and a desire to enable the growth of others
- You possess a demonstrated ability to speak with people with varying knowledge in IT Security concepts and have the tailor your message to the audience
- You have an intimate understanding of Incident Response framework, root cause analysis, and analysis steps need to triage events
- Identifies opportunities for cycle-time reduction via automation or process enhancements
- Advanced knowledge of Cloud technologies in one or more leading cloud providers
- Ability and desire to break the norm and find creative scalable solutions to problems with the moxie to follow-through
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information security or related discipline is required or equivalent work experience
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.