Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
We seek an experienced Corporate Counsel, Data Protection Compliance to support Splunk’s privacy and security program initiatives. This role’s primary focus is to support the development of Splunk’s Privacy Operations program globally with a focus on the AMER, APAC and LATAM regions. The Corporate Counsel will help align and scale Splunk’s data protection obligations across these regions and integrate them into Splunk’s international framework for global data protection compliance. The Corporate Counsel, Data Protection Compliance will work closely with and support members of Splunk’s Data Protection team and will also engage with key business partners (IT, Security, Marketing, Sales) to operationalize, maintain, and evolve Splunk’s global data protection program. The role will report to Splunk’s Director, Privacy Operations. Splunk is based in the San Francisco Bay Area; remote work locations in the U.S. considered.
Personal Characteristics and Skills: How can I succeed at Splunk?
The successful candidate will:
- Have a high EQ and a strong history of successful cross-functional collaboration with others
- Work independently with a high degree of accountability
- Speak/write clearly and concisely with a flexible style adaptable to different needs globally
- Rapidly adapt to evolving developments
- Express complex ideas in easily understandable and effective ways
- Be agile when managing conflict and creating/influencing/implementing policies and procedures
- Possess excellent business judgment and outstanding critical thinking and analytical capabilities
- Be proactive and demonstrate initiative, resourcefulness, and a strong work ethic
- Maintain a sense of humor and live the mantra—work hard, have fun, make history!
Responsibilities: I want to and can do that!
The successful candidate will:
- Collaborate with the Data Protection team to help identify, develop and mature new processes, operations, technologies, and agreements to scale support for Splunk’s Data Protection Compliance Program in AMER, APAC and LATAM
- Work collaboratively with legal and business partners to identify, develop and implement process interlocks with other data protection program requirements globally and assist with building a Common Control Framework for Splunk’s Global Data Protection Compliance Program
- Keep up with legal requirements (commercial and public sector) in AMER, APAC and LATAM for data protection and integrate them into Splunk’s Common Control Framework for data protection
- Be familiar with the requirements of key security certifications/guidelines that relate to Splunk’s cloud services, such as SOC2, ISO, HIPAA, PCI-DSS and FedRAMP
- Provide second level support to members of the Data Protection team who support marketing, HR, IT and Security in fulfilling various data protection requirements
- Support the fulfillment of privacy requests globally—work closely with key business partners to develop repeatable playbooks and processes to ensure their timely completion
- Assist with operationalizing support for website tracking technologies globally
- Advise, educate and train on Splunk’s data protection policies/compliance programs globally
- Assist with developing, maintaining, and improving Splunk’s auditing capabilities globally to help ensure ongoing compliance of the Global Data Protection Program
- Build strong internal and external corporate relationships while balancing the needs of Splunk’s global strategy and priorities
- Perform other legal responsibilities as requested
Requirements: I’ve already done that or have that!
Candidates must have:
- JD degree with excellent academic credentials
- License to practice law in applicable work location
- 6-9 years’ experience in data protection compliance, in-house experience with a U.S.-listed company strongly preferred
- Written and spoken fluency in English is required
- Strong understanding of emerging technologies, cloud computing, SaaS infrastructure
- Significant experience with SaaS-standard security programs, such as SOC2, ISO 27001, HIPAA/PCI, and FedRAMP, including a fundamental understanding of program elements
- A passion for privacy and data protection
- Significant prior experience building data protection compliance programs in AMER, APAC and LATAM
- Ability to deliver in a fast paced and entrepreneurial environment in a timely manner
- Expertise in Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Prior experience with OneTrust preferred
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which you are applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.