Do you know what Cisco uses to monitor the health of 70+ of their apps and to respond to security incidents?
We bring you the answers straight from the horse’s mouth.
At the recent SplunkLive! SF and in front of a packed room, Robert Novak, Follow @gallifreyan, Quinn Zuo and Ruby Chiang of the Cisco IT team, Follow @ciscoit, uncovered the mystery and gave us a good look under the hood. They showed how Splunk powers their operations and solves some of their critical IT challenges.
— Renee Yao (@ReneeYao1) July 15, 2015
- Deployed on Cisco UCS servers, Splunk indexes multiple terabytes per day of machine data from Cisco’s production systems across 7 global data centers.
- Cisco IT team built an operations center based on Splunk Enterprise and several Splunk Apps for IT/Ops and Security.
- Cisco relies on Splunk for many use cases, including:
- Real-time monitoring of IT infrastructure and services
- Detection of and response to security incidents
- Business analytics (marketing campaigns activity)
and the results are in
The Cisco IT team revealed the benefits they obtained from Splunk
- 50% reduction in high priority issues due to pro-active monitoring
- 90% improvement in root cause analysis time: minutes rather than hours
- As a result of using Splunk for 5+ years, Cisco IT was able to replace three aging siloed systems.
In addition, check out the published success story on how Cisco IT uses Splunk on Cisco UCS for IT Operations with details on the Splunk-based solution implemented by Cisco IT and the lessons learned.
Splunk on Cisco UCS
During their presentation, the Cisco IT team also described how their environment is supported by a high performance, highly scalable Cisco UCS infrastructure. UCS is an essential platform for central management of big data infrastructure. Since Splunk scales from a single system to a large scale distributed deployment, it is the perfect solution for operational intelligence on top of UCS.
Cisco has endorsed Splunk as a key technology partner for their UCS platform. Here is a highlight of key assets on the Splunk-UCS integration
- A new 260+ page Cisco Validated Design with step-by-step deployment guidance from bare metal to a distributed Splunk Enterprise on Cisco UCS environment
- The Splunk Add-on for Cisco UCS for collection and correlation of UCS data (fault, inventory, and performance)
- Solution brief: Cisco UCS Integrated Infrastructure for Big Data with Splunk Enterprise
We thank the Cisco IT team for joining us at SplunkLive! and for the great lively session.
Senior Solutions Architect, Global Strategic Alliances